Security screws for decking.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have cladded part of my shed with decking. Looks good but I have only used standard decking screws to fix them on. Not very secure, does anyone know where to get decent length clutch head screws, or know of a better way to tamper proof the boards? They are 28mm thick.

I was thinking of making my own clutch heads with stainless slotted screws and a dremel.

Sponsored Links
Does this mean that the would-be thief can't just lever these off with a crow bar, and the screws just sink in to the soft timber as the board comes off?

Yeh, it won't be fort knox, but theres probably less opportunists carrying crowbars than screwdrivers. The other sides are only featheredge anyway, they are right against the fence, but it's the front that's accessable. I just don't wanna make it too easy, at least wood splintering is noisy.

Sponsored Links
If you use non-galvanised screws, they will soon be immovable.

Or maybe bodge up the heads with a blunt old screwdriver?

is a theif likely to remove around 50 screws to gain entry !!!!

if he is that keen his entry route would be easier via a normal route

i would suggest you randomly replace 1 in 5 with a secure head screw

or cheaper still skew screw from the inside

speaking from my old profession, your wasting your time and money. theyll go for the door or the window, or wont borther. They will not try and undo screws to get in.

Thermo said:
speaking from my old profession,

Aha, an experienced ex-burglar in our midst :eek:

:p

The decking part is under the window and next to the door. 4ft wide boards, taking out 6 screws will undo 2 boards, giving a slim burglar (junkies and kids?) a space to get in. The door will be double padlocked and the window is a non-opening pvcu DG unit.

The shed will have one of those £12.99 battery alarms, and will also be lined internally with 12mm ply. I guess I am being over cautious but I don't want the hassle of anyone even attempting to get in. Visual detererrent is the first line of defence. I was thinking of grippy and clutch heads just for effect. I suppose I could drill out the heads of normal deck screws and glue brown plastic caps over the heads for looks.

The most likely person to break into a shed is a druggie chav - either an opportunist or out for a quick burglary to get £20 down the pub.

If there is a door or window, then they will lever that. No-one is going to faff about undoing screws, and the afore mentioned suspect is unlikely to have the brain power in the first place.

In fact not only would they be unlikely to have a go at the screws, they won't even know that they are security screws, so your deterent is gone.

your wasting your time deluks. if they want to get in theyll kick the door in or pop the dg unit out. they wont bother with the screws, or theyll wreench a board off. Most liable scenario is theyll take one look at the lock and go the shed next door. save your time and money

Aye. Unless word's got out about the rembrandt and the £3-gazillion you've got stashed away in the shed, it's likely any would-be tea-leaf would just be some chancer. Make it too much hassle for not enough gain and they'll pass you by.

That said, a gang of 9yr olds did spend 45mins trying to drill/smash the padlock off my shed a few years back! Little gits 12.7mm'd my bike! :evil:

It's the 9 year olds I'm worried about! There is an alley next to and behind our garden, the back is a straight run of garages, we would be their first port of call, in fact they wouldn't even bother going into the neighbours as they would have to clamber over the fence and overgrown hedge.
We had an attempt on our kitchen window last year, someone took a screwdriver to it, must been an amateur as they tried to bend the frame outwards at the corner, not realising that the handle in the middle operates shootbolts at the edges. Any experienced burglar should know that. We now have a rusty indent on our window frame :evil:

As such I am hyper security concious and keep all my tools in the house at the mo' which means tripping over drill cases every time I go in and out the front door.

I'll go with 3" decking screws with the heads drilled out for the time being, and invest in a vanvault when funds allow.

Now, how to keep the spiders from gaining entry.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back