Self Build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am about to embark on a 2 story 2 room extension and dinning room extension. There is quite a bit of info on the plan but I am sure how the joists are fixed.
Where can I get info on self build. I have had quotes of £25K Complete Build and £22K Part build from one builder and £35K complete build and £30K part build from another builder.

One builder offered to provide labour only for £13K. I provide materials, Scaffolding. Electrics and plumbing extra. Are these quotes reasonable.

I estimate I can complete the project in £15-£18K. Is this a realistic estimate or am I missing something.

Can some one point me to the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
richjacq said:
what sort of size are u talking

Hi "richjacq"

The 2 room extension is 4395mm x 3800mm and the dinning room extension is 1695mm x 1395mm both these extensions have pitched roofs. Two big windows and 2 small windows and a patio door.

Excavation alone I am told is three big skips full and it will be man handled. I have never tackled a project this big but I feel confident that I can do it. Not all of it. Roofing will be by pro roofers. The rest I can handle myself. Does this sound realistic or am being being over enthusiastic.

I am half way thro doing a similar sized extension myself but without the dining room bit. I have done all the work my self on weekends and a bit after work before the light went. I have been doing it now for 4 months so only start if you are really patient, and prepared to put the work in. i had done small projects before but nothing as big as this but i found lots of info from the web and forums like this and have done ok. If you have any doubts just ask your building officer they are more than helpful. I budgeted 14 grand and am on target so u wont be far off i dont think

Sponsored Links
richjacq said:
I am half way thro doing a similar sized extension myself but without the dining room bit. I have done all the work my self on weekends and a bit after work before the light went. I have been doing it now for 4 months so only start if you are really patient, and prepared to put the work in. i had done small projects before but nothing as big as this but i found lots of info from the web and forums like this and have done ok. If you have any doubts just ask your building officer they are more than helpful. I budgeted 14 grand and am on target so u wont be far off i dont think

Hi "richjacq"

I used to 12 hour shifts monday to friday (normal weeks) and 12hour shifts on plant maintenance periods lasting 2 weeks. So I am used to working long hours but this work is different in that its building and also most of the time I am going to be by myself. I don't mind that.

I am going to take my plans and get estimates of materials from local suppliers. I think you will agree the labour cost is the biggest chunk.

definately but dont just go to one supplier for everything as prices vary so much i found screwfix one of the cheapest for small stuff

Why will the spoil be manhandled.no access? I`d go for a mini digger self drive and grab lorry for removel

Nige F said:
Why will the spoil be manhandled.no access? I`d go for a mini digger self drive and grab lorry for removel
Hi "Nigel F"

There is big slab of concrete 8' x 4' x 8 inches thick to break and shift before I can get to soil. Also I don't want to break my concrete in drive using a digger. Both slab and soil have to be shifted into a skip approximately 15 meters away.

This is the hardest part I think.

richjacq said:
definately but dont just go to one supplier for everything as prices vary so much i found screwfix one of the cheapest for small stuff

Hi "richjacq"

There are three builders merchants near me. I price at all three of them.

i am thinkin of undertakin something very similar... just drawing up the plans myself and working through the building rgs... arrgh???

are you building over drains or a manhole??

thnks

matt73 said:
i am thinkin of undertakin something very similar... just drawing up the plans myself and working through the building rgs... arrgh???

are you building over drains or a manhole??

thnks

Hi "matt73"

I am planning on having ensuite shower/toilet/basin in the bedroom. The toilet will connect into existing stack and shower/basin waste connects into seperate drain.

Fortunately I am staying well clear of Drains and manhole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back