self cutting tap help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all i,m in the middle of fitting a self cutting tap . the ones that come in a kit for an outside tap , while i was trying to fit the tap into the cold water system i managed to split the rubber washer that goes in the clamp . could anyone please advise me where i could buy one from as i have looked all over the internet and cannot find them anywhere , thanks mick

Sponsored Links
You might be able to make one from a tap washer or two thicknesses of innertube.

One might ask how you managed to damage it.

Most professionals would consider them as very micky mouse.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Those self-cutters are pretty poor for outside taps because the hole is small, so your flow is restricted. Now you've got the water off, consider putting a compression Tee in.
If you haven't got a pipe cutter, no matter, a junior hacksaw is pretty easy with a little patience.
Then you'd use a conventional stop cock as a tap, far less leak-prone than the little cheap quarter turn things.

I bought it from a local diy shop last year and I decided to fit it tonight . Its a supa product. Been on their website and there's none on there. I spilt it trying to screw the tap in the clamp but luckily I didn't manage to peirce the pipe before I noticed the washer coming through the thread I live in the dudley area. Thanks mick

Bought a new tap last night and fitted it but my god the water flow is useless I could piddle quicker. I. Used the original l tap. As the new. One was. Bigger any ideas how I could get the pressure up thanks mick

You have to read our replies!

Chris R has already covered that point so it should not have been any surprise to you!

Tony

ChrisR has given the direction to go.
Those self-cutters are pretty poor for outside taps because the hole is small
in his post above.

I also fell into this trap, 'they sell the kit, so it must work'. I replaced the supplied kit of self tapping tap and washing machine hose, with copper tee and pipe. Now have full pressure feed to the garden sprinkler.

EDIT: Note to self, must type quicker.

Yeh I did read his post but like everyone I thought the kit done what it said on the box. I thought perhaps I might have screwed it in too far thanks mick

No, I suspect you've done absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever, those self-cutting kits really are that crap, you just need to plumb it in properly

Well finished putting it in and I can honestly say what a waste of time ,effort and money. Completely useless. Could any one tell me please if it would be possible to fit the brass tap straight to the pipe and run the hose out of the hole I drilled. So that the outdoor tap is inside if you know what I mean. Thanks mick

Just my 2 pence re: screw in taps....

Was running some cable for my folk's new cooker yesterday... had to pull the washing machine out to lift some boards.

Turns out the plumber who installed the kitchen had used one of these screw in taps for the garden tap. He had screwed into the WM cold feed.

It had been leaking from where the washer sits round the hole, for probably 6 months + All the floorboards within 2 metres of the leak are now ruined. Half of the kitchen has to come out so we can check the joists and reboard. New lino has to be laid throughout too :rolleyes:

They're claiming on the insurance but what a mess.

Wow sorry to hear that mate. But like all trades there is a lot of cowboys about hope you get it sorted soon. The tap I was going to fit will be on show all the time it was going under neath the hand basin in the bathroom which is downstairs thanks mick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back