Self fitting fascia, soffits and gutting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be capping my existing fascias and soffits then fitting new gutting in the coming weeks. I am more than capable of doing the job properly but have a few questions to ensure I do it correctly:

1: I have ACB (asbestos cement boards) as soffits and plan to cap over them. Is it ok to use white head nails to pin the new pvc soffit in place?

2: When the plastic joins together I have been told to use silicon to help seal it up. Which is the best silicon to use?

3. I have been told that I only need to silicon the fascias where plastic meets plastic. Is this correct or do i need to to silicon plastic to wall/roof?

4. any other useful tips or links?

FYI I will be having scaffolding pretty much all the way around the house due to the narrowness on one side and a steep drop off on the other. The builders I spoke to generally all wanted scaffold on the steep side at a cost of £250-£300 and about half wanted scaffold on the narrow side too costing an additional £250.

I had quotes for labour and part (ex scaffolding) ranging from £800-£2000. £800 the said they would do it all off ladders and didnt fill me with confidence that they would do a good job. The average price was £1200 with one at £1600 for full replacement.

I have priced this up at
facsias and soffits £400
Gutting £140
Scaffolding £500
With addition extras I believe this will come in at less than £1100

Sponsored Links
1: I have ACB (asbestos cement boards) as soffits and plan to cap over them. Is it ok to use white head nails to pin the new pvc soffit in place?

No the pins will either bend or smash the AIB.

2: When the plastic joins together I have been told to use silicon to help seal it up. Which is the best silicon to use?

Which plastic you on about. the fasica? You don't need silicone.

3. I have been told that I only need to silicon the fascias where plastic meets plastic. Is this correct or do i need to to silicon plastic to wall/roof?

You can silicone the soffit to the wall if you want but it's not needed.

I had quotes....£1600 for full replacement.

I have priced this up at
... £1100

So for an extra 500 quid you could have put your feet up and got it done properly.

any other useful tips or links?

Don't use silicone. I ban my fitters from using it, horrible stuff, it should only be used by window fitters for windows, not fascias.
Oh and get it done properly, don't cover the stuff with plastic ;)

Still here to help :cool:

"The builders I spoke to generally all wanted scaffold on the steep side at a cost of £250-£300 and about half wanted scaffold on the narrow side too costing an additional £250.

I had quotes for labour and part (ex scaffolding) ranging from £800-£2000. £800 the said they would do it all off ladders and didnt fill me with confidence that they would do a good job. The average price was £1200 with one at £1600 for full replacement"

Sounds like a lot of man hours of advice already been given..!

Sponsored Links
if you are just cladding over the easiest and best looking way to do it is this.
use a starter trim or some call it j trim. fix this to the wall under the existing soffitt. get a few fixings in so it lays straight. then if its brick run a nice clear silicone along the brick/trim edge or a white if its a painted wall. try and use lmn silicone not the cheaper lma. the lma is the one that tastes foul. not that i recommend eating either. if its hollow soffitt cut it in short lengths that will slot into the trim and reach the underside of the fascia. pop a screw through the soffitt and into fascia. then all soffitt is done then clad the fascia making sure the height allows the fascia to pull up tight under the new soffitt. try and use polytop nails and not the pins. pins are crap. 50 or 60mm poly nails and if the old fascia it dodgy get a fix into the rafter ends. doing it this way means no visible fixing for the soffitt and looks lovely from below. use a gauge when positioning poly nails and match the start position from the top of the gable on the barge boards. will look proper smart when finished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back