Self-fusing tape for leaking copper pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read/seen good things about this self- fusing silicone tape, but all videos I've seen of people using it on YouTube have been a hole in the middle of a flat piece of pipe, or a hose.

The leak I have under my sink is right on the joint.

Will it still work on there or do I need something else? Its a small drip - probably one drop every 15 seconds so hoping I can fix myself?

Sponsored Links
What type of joint?
1000033652.jpg

This type. You can see the drip there, so it's not right on the bend.

Looks like a badly made soldered joint. You can't do any harm by trying self-fusing tape and it might work. But don't hold out too much hope it will!

Sponsored Links
It might not be the joint you can see that’s leaking, it could be running down.

what is the fitting - is it a 90 deg elbow?

Looks like a badly made soldered joint. You can't do any harm by trying self-fusing tape and it might work. But don't hold out too much hope it will!
I think water is leaking from another point. Good solder flow on that elbow

If the elbow is leaking, because solder has got onto the section of pipe where the elbow seals onto it....

Remove the elbow, clean the solder off the pipe with emery cloth, and refit.

Self fusing (or self amalgamating tape as it's properly called) is only good for a very temporary repair and then it probably wont work. Either fix it properly or get someone in who can fix it properly.

self amalgamating tape is soft for the first 10 years, it will never hold pressure. I does look to me as if it only flowed properly on the top, the bottom half has not flowed, it looks like a thin black line on there. It is not a good place to be waving a blowtorch, that I can see. To reflow you would need to turn off mains, remove push fit, drain down pipe fully, so completely dry, cover wood with flameproof fibreglass matting. then and only then have a go with plenty of flux to get the bottom section to flow and seal.
It might be easier to do a cut and join on the other side of that timber, replacing a good 4-6" away from that pushfit?

whilst not disagreeing with all the above, you have little to lose by cleaning off the joint and trying the selfamalgating tape if you can't/don't have soldering equipment. If you do, it is essential to ensure a good stretch, generally twice the length. and lay and well past both ends of the leak. The difficulty you will have is doing this in the confined space.
#can you get to the other side of the panel, cut out a length and replace with pushfit back to the pushfit elbow which is what Mike13is suggesting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back