self medicating again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Coljack is reading this thread, and I would be suprised if he is, I would like to offer some advise from someone who was nearly in a similar position although I wouldn't have been entitled to dole money for 6 months as I am self employed.

Before the credit crunch began a few years ago and everyone was able to borrow any amount of money they liked I was running a fairly successful electrical contracting company, I had an apprentice and another lad whom I had trained up. We would have work almost every day, the telephone was ringing and I would manage to get 95% + of each job i quoted for... GREAT. Now since the credit crunch I have lost both employees for different reasons and am on my own, I was lucky enough to have one customer that seemed to have great faith in my ability to do other types of work, he supplied a kitchen and i fitted it, he supplied a shower room suite and i fitted it, he supplied a load of tiles, i fitted them. Now I dont advertise the fact that i fit kitchens but i get one or two every now and again from word of mouth, same with bathrooms. the best part is that the customer is always willing to supply everything (because they think or know they can get a better price) and I am just paid for labor, which is great, there isnt huge cash flow going in and out of the business and I dont need to buy things i cannot afford (such as a kitchen).

Col, I have read your comments of various posts and you seem quite knowledgable and able to problem solve with intuition, so perhaps you could start by doing odd jobs around your area, after all being self employed means that you can pick and choose your jobs (after getting established) and you have no fear of being laid off. I firmly beleive that if you can adapt and be versatile then you can always get work. Some days I can earn some tidy money which is great as that can cover times that I dont earn any, or I do a job for the hell of it, there is not much money in it, but it keeps someone happy and they may pass my name on. I did a job for one guy i fitted a kitchen for, it took me 2 weeks and i had agreed up front to do the job for £400, expecting it to take me just under a week, but there were complications, now earning £40 a day isn't great, but it just covers things, on the upshot, I re fitted his bathroom, fitted a kitchen for his neighbour (and some electrical work for her sister), done some electrical work for another of his friends, and am about to start a bathroom for yet another of his friends!

Get out there mate, i'm sure that if you are pushy you may know a family member, friend of aquaintance that needs something doing, no matter what, if you feel you can acheive a good standard then do it, who knows where it will lead.

The best part about it all is that you learn so much, i am reading up alot lately on tiling as I had to do my own bathroom and spec materials, and as i had never had to do this before it is a big learning curve, these things have always been supplied to me from the customer via the tile shop. but now i am learning more then I can spec things for them.

Good luck mate, if you want to do it, you can, it may be hard at first and be frustrating but it is ultimatly rewarding.

Sponsored Links
as I've said, I'm ashamed to say that I'd rather not take a job that would pay me less than I'm getting at the moment..

on the flip side of that, if they offered me a job scrubbing toilets for more money than I'm on then I'd gladly take it..
Most people have to take a pay cut, I did a lower paid job than rather be on a dole, once you get on that bottom of the ladder, the only way is up! Since I took many low paid jobs over the years, I've better myself, you got more chance of getting a better job once you're working with people. I was on a dole for 3 months and felt lonely with no contact with anybody.

I did a repair job on the refinery doing carpentry and saw a job advertising on their noticed board, since then, got the job and my salary almost double for a non skill job :D

I have just recently come into contact with a couple of guys on JSA and have been interested in their plight. They are both basically unskilled.
It goes like this. A job agency call them up and offer them a temporary job. This job takes them over there 16 hours a week statuary limit after which they lose their allowance. They then have to reapply for JSA. So, they are advised by the Job Centre not to take them.
I do not object to these guys earning a bit more money to pay for those things that they enjoyed before, from their wages. Because the JSA after paying for food,clothing etc., doesn't buy many drinks or smokes.
It is totally unfare to expect people to turn of the tap of their little enjoyments when they are put in a position they didn't ask for.
So, I wrote to my MP Ed.Vaisey to ask the government to allow these people to take these jobs and the time worked per week to be averaged out over their period of their JSA.
Most of these jobs only pay minimum wages so they will not be making a lot and would be able to be seen on the jobs market.
His answer was - I do agree with you. We are trying to make the system more flexible.
Request- Would some of you write to your MP's to help the jobless people in this way, please?

So you want the unemployed to carry on getting taxpayer support and doing a bit of work on the side to get some beer money? Why bother working full time then? I'd love the government to pay me and let me do a bit on the side. :rolleyes:

I could have stayed in bed like moodymick and coljack.

Sponsored Links
So you want the unemployed to carry on getting taxpayer support and doing a bit of work on the side to get some beer money? Why bother working full time then? I'd love the government to pay me and let me do a bit on the side. :rolleyes:

I could have stayed in bed like moodymick and coljack.

Couldn't agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back