selling a car

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, due to unforseen cicumstances I have to sell my daughters Renault clio ( 51 reg 34,000 miles ) which I bought 2 months ago for £2,500.
The dealer told me that it had been substantially repaired and/or accident damged as it passed the MOT and so I pressumed it was structly sound and looked ok I bought it

I have never sold a car before so ..

1.. when I advertise it do I have to mention about the above ( although its printed on the reg cert )

2.. do I ask for more than I paid for it and settle on a price ?

3.. Do I just ask for cash as how can you trust a cheque !

4.. if a buyer wants to test drive it how can you trust somebody bringing it back !

under normal circumstances I wouldnt sell it as it looks and is a good runner but I suppose I am going to have to cut my losses here :?:

also it has had 7 former keepers in such a short time, which I thought rather odd but the dealer didnt know who or why

writing this has stressed me out even more :)

cheers P M

Sponsored Links

1.. when I advertise it do I have to mention about the above ( although its printed on the reg cert )

4.. if a buyer wants to test drive it how can you trust somebody bringing it back !

1. Dont have to mention anything you dont want to. Down to them to get the Hpi check.

2. Ask for what you think you can get. Only way to know is by comparing what similar models are going for. Expect to be haggled down a little bit though.

3. Never take cheque. Bankers draft is as good as cash.

4. They have to prove they are insured to drive it and dont let them go on their own!

Id worry about the 7 owners thing though. Looks terrible. Especially with such low miles. They've done less than 5k each!

Hi all, due to unforseen cicumstances I have to sell my daughters Renault clio ( 51 reg 34,000 miles ) which I bought 2 months ago for £2,500.
The dealer told me that it had been substantially repaired and/or accident damged as it passed the MOT and so I pressumed it was structly sound and looked ok I bought it

I have never sold a car before so ..

My opinions below.

"Caveat emptor" Buyer beware. Is the accident repair on the documents? If so you show it to the potential buyers and let them make up their minds if they want to proceed. If not, you only have the opinion of a dealer who might have been trying to knock a price down if they had a view to buy it.

You can ask for what you want to. Someone will only pay what they consider to be a fair market value. Have a look at some web sites that will give you a guide price, or buy a Glass's guide

Cash is always good, bankers draft/cashiers cheque also good. If they want to pay by cheque, insist that they have to wait until the cheque clears before picking the car up. You can also ask for a deposit if there is any delay in them agreeing to buy it and stumping up the cash etc while sorting out insurance or the like.

Go for the test drive with them. If they want to drive it, ask for proof of insurance, otherwise you drive.

under normal circumstances I wouldn't sell it as it looks and is a good runner but I suppose I am going to have to cut my losses here :?:

also it has had 7 former keepers in such a short time, which I thought rather odd but the dealer didn't know who or why

As long as any repairs were done properly there is no reason why is shouldn't be a good runner. Even with good quality repairs there will be tell tale signs, it is up to the buyer to decide.

Good luck.

If you bought from a dealer and you're selling privately, you'll almost certainly have to take some loss on the price.

There's good advice from the respected and experienced Honest John on selling cars.

Free copies of The Daily Telegraph's 32-page reader guide on How to buy and sell a used car, written by Honest John and sponsored by Volkswagen, can be obtained by calling 0800 052 2098.

Whatever you do, don't respond to callers who offer you fail-safe advertising of your car for a fee. I fell for that scam many years ago, before I'd heard of this way of relieving people of their money.[/url]

Sponsored Links
From memory, I think you have a duty to tell the buyer about the accident damage as you have knowledge of it.

From memory, I think you have a duty to tell the buyer about the accident damage as you have knowledge of it.

I believe the original poster stated there was a V23 marker on the VRD so it would be self-evident.

Think other folk have just about covered most things, but the biggest rule is not to mis-represent anything, if the car is worn out, and you just advertise it as make and model, etc, then you haven't done anything wrong, if you were to say its in very good condition, when its not then the buyer has recourse to civil action (and remember civil law is decided on balance of probabilities, not beyond reasonble doubt)

If you want the story of the mis-represented lemon of a Sierra, then just ask and I'll tell it you! :)

Test drives, make sure the person driving has DOC (drive other cars) cover on their insurance, many insurance companies offer this to policy holders who have comprehensive cover and are aged over 25, but by no means all do, and supprisingly many people are quite happy to assume that compresensive cover means they have DOC extension (which might not be the case!), ensure that they check their policy documents, or telephone their insurer if required, do be aware that DOC cover is with very few exceptions the minimum cover as prescribed by the RTA (ie. third party only)
Be aware that if you let someone drive with insurance, you could be guilty of aiding and abetting him to drive without insurance!

Payment, Cheques caan obviously be cancelled, bankers drafts arn't as good as a lot of people think, if you are unlucky enough to receive a forged one, then the bank can and will claw the money back from you, cash is reasonable ok, best go to both banks together though, so you are safe from being passed dodgy notes, another good way is an electronic BACS or CHAPS transfer, BACs takes a few days and is most likely how you receive your wages, CHAPS is much quicker but costs £15 ish a time to do, but for a one off car payment, could well be woth it

IANAL, of course, but I've tried to do my best to ensure the above is accurate to the best of my knowledge, all advice taken at own risk, etc, etc

The only payment method I would accept is I fill in a paying in slip for the agreed amount, we go to my bank, I hand ove the slip You hand over the cash, hopefully the teller would spot any forgeries.

I dont believe any form of paper transaction (cheque, draft etc) is safe, because they can all be forged. A previous poster said he would wait until the cheque had been cleared - does'nt mean sod all these days. Gangs are using forged cheque books with account numbers of very big companies eg ICI, so when this dodgy cheque goes through system, the system thinks its from ICI so the money gets cleared into your account. Then six months later ICI are going through their thousands of transactions and find their a bit short and the money was paid to you. Your bank will then pay them back from your account. It's an old ebay scam.

Re: cheques, I believe that cheques are now pretty much 'one way' from about 6 working days after they have cleared. [/i]

Thank you all for all your input, anyone wanna buy it :)

Shouldn't you have paperwork to show potential buyers that the vehicle has been rebuilt to the right standards?

Unfortunately, the fact is has a V23 marker & so many owners will impact on the resale value. :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back