Sentenced To Death

We accept any commonwealth citizen, plus Gurkhas.

French foreign legion takes anyone.

The US and Russia both allow non citizens to join as well. It's not clear cut.
That must be the easiest way for a spy or a terrorist to cause some trouble...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
That must be the easiest way for a spy or a terrorist to cause some trouble...
Probably among the worst if anything. look at the Afghan army, they regularly had soldiers turn and shoot up their colleagues. It achieved very little.

We accept any commonwealth citizen, plus Gurkhas.

French foreign legion takes anyone.

The US and Russia both allow non citizens to join as well. It's not clear cut.
So, let me understand, a wannabe terrorist can go to the US, marry a chick and once in possession of a permanent visa join the army and be trained in the latest warfare and technology???

So, let me understand, a wannabe terrorist can go to the US, marry a chick and once in possession of a permanent visa join the army and be trained in the latest warfare and technology???
As an infantry man carrying a rifle, more or less yes.

As a signaller using sensitive Comms equipment, no. There's deeper background checks and the truly sensitive stuff often doesn't allow non-native born citizens access.

It seems Ukraine make a point of not paying foreign fighters any more than their own. If they stick to that these people are not mercenaries - even according to Russia when this was produced

Looking at Ukraine's join web page doesn't give any details on contracts etc and more recently they have switched to wanting people with combat experience according to reports.

So they deserve to die at the hands of an unrecognised court?
Is non recognition of a court an acceptable defence under British law.
The IRA had a policy of non recognition of the Jurisdiction of Irish and British courts.
Didn't stop judges banging them up though.

Is non recognition of a court an acceptable defence under British law.
The IRA had a policy of non recognition of the Jurisdiction of Irish and British courts.
Didn't stop judges banging them up though.
Saddam Hussein tried that and...
Was he right?

Politics is strange. Truss wont talk to the "leaders" etc of the area in the court is in as it would imply that the UK recognises them. So talks to Ukraine instead. That's the reason that appears to have been given. They hope for a prisoner exchange so Ukraine will put them to the top of the list. I'd guess that is arranged via Russia. Maybe it isn't.

One of the UK Citizens Aidan Aslin has an "interesting" history
I think you'd be hard pressed to describe him as anything other than a professional mercenary

professional mercenary
No - not unless he is paid more than a Ukraine soldier who holds the same position. I posted a link explaining that - all of the conditions it mentions have to be met. Russia's military just mention the financial gain aspect which appears to be the same idea. The UN definition includes it as well.

There is some argument in African countries - some would like to just call any foreign fighter a mercenary.

and then they are released. Should have been executed along with any other dog of war.

Sponsored Links
Back