Service head question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Great forum and i hope you can help me.

Ive just moved to a house built in 1951, I wish to get the service head & consumer unit moved as they are in an inconvenient place, however the service head has me slightly confused.

The thing that is concerning me is that there are 4 tails coming from the service head which has a 100A.

Currently we have an Econ 7 meter, and according to the tag the meter was changed in <Edit>2000 not 2007 sorry!</edit> . 2 of the tails from the service head go to the econ 7 meter setup, the other 2 along with an earth disappear in to a metal pipe that seems to go in to the cavity wall (terraced house) the wires here appear to be older, black rubbery sleeving Vs Grey PVC.

The old wires don't seem to reappear anywhere an old meter may have been, and my main concern is that they may be connected to my next door neighbors meter, is this at all likely? I'm thinking if they were originally connected to the old meter, wouldn't the Elec company have removed them, as they could provide an unmetered outlet??

Picture here if it helps: http://picasaweb.google.com/scott.gilchrist/ElecMeter/photo#5083833073402993858

Any input is welcome as I would like to know what im up against before I get the Elec company out.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Could easily be a loop to next door. I take it you know the electric board are the only ones who can work on their apparatus. Don't know about your earthing/bonding, looks a little bit on the small side by todays standards. Can you post a close up photo of the Main Earthing Terminal, next to the electric board cutout with all the green & green/yellow wires in it? Can you see a connection between the MET and cutout?

Hi,

yes I know I cant touch it, I intend to rewire and replace the CU, under building Regs with Building control inspection, but will get the Elec company in to sort out the Header / meter. If it is for next doors meter how would I go about getting the service moved? I don't expect they will be to keen.

The earth block does go in to a cut out in the header.

New pic here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/scott.gilchrist/ElecMeter/photo#5083849716401265874

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Going by the fact that the second pair of tails from the head are old rubber and go into the wall I would say without doubt your nieghbours are fed from your cut out. Not un-common as it meant the supply company only had to bring one cable for every two houses.

If you and your neighbour are happy with that arrangment just ask the DNO to replace the rubber cables for your safety should the insulation crumble away.

The Thing is I want to change the meter from Enon 7 to a regular meter, and relocate the service head and meter to a flush mounted box outside (which would put the front doorh in the way of the cavity currently used to supply next door) so that I can alter the stairs, thus allowing me to make my bathroom bigger...

If I still have to have a pair of tails running through the cavity then it's going to mess up my plans.

How likely is it that I can get The DNO to move my stuff, and run a new set of tails through my neighbors property to their meter?

Any help most appreciated.

MonkeyHunter said:
If it is for next doors meter how would I go about getting the service moved? I don't expect they will be to keen.

Contact your supplier who will send an engineer from the DNO to asses how much it will cost to move.

Make sure you explain the cutout needs moving or they'll send metering who can only move the meter.

As for next door not being to keen, they would of had to be off when the meter was changed recently so don't think they'd mind would they? ;)

Oops, meter was changed in 2000 not 2007 had had a few beers last night :)

Even so they moved in the day after me so have never had the supply disconnected. I think I will go round and tell them its a bit dodgy and if its not sorted they could be without power if the fuse goes, (ive no gas) so 100A for 2 property's doesn't seem much, especially as i weld...

They have 3 young kids so that should get them thinking.

Will get the DNO out and see what they say.

Cheers.

There is another consideration for you neighbours to consider.

Their earth connection is dependent on a terminal on your side of the wall. That is therefore a terminal not accessible to them if you are not at home to allow them access to it.

Good point. The more 'weight' I can lend my argument the better, especially if they will meet some of the cost.

There will be another cutout the other side of that wall for the neighbours, with an accessible eath terminal.

I only see P & N tails going through the wall, no armour, so the only supplier's earth they could have would be TNC-S.

Tails look very old.

The tails indeed must be very old, im not convinced the insulation is up to much now. There is an earth going through the wall as well.

<Quote>There will be another cutout the other side of that wall for the neighbours, with an accessible eath terminal.<\Quote>

Even if next door have an earth terminal they can access, i *could* disconnect their earth on my side...

You could also pull the fuse that is your side but you shouldn't :)

Not saying the tails don't need changing but i've seen a lot worse going through a wall from one house to another and i'm sure so has the engineer that comes out to asses you cutout move. ;)

That is a VERY unusual arangement for the service feed - I have never seen the earth come out from the left hand side of the service fuse block, the UK standard is for the earth to come out of the RIGHT of the service fuse block (for PME feeds at least). In my house the PME earthing connection emerges from the right hand side as is normally the case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back