Service head question...

Roo said:
There will be another cutout the other side of that wall for the neighbours, with an accessible eath terminal.

Not necessarily. I have seen tails (and a naked earth ) coming through a damp stone party wall straight into the meter. Only one earth rod shared between the two houses.

Sponsored Links
kai said:
That is a VERY unusual arangement for the service feed - I have never seen the earth come out from the left hand side of the service fuse block, the UK standard is for the earth to come out of the RIGHT of the service fuse block (for PME feeds at least). In my house the PME earthing connection emerges from the right hand side as is normally the case.

and if a cutout is fitted sideways or put on upside down so to speak.... ;)

sorry Bernard I agree, I've seen similar.
What I should of said was......

USUALLY there will be another cutout the other side of that wall for the neighbours, with an accessible eath terminal. :)

Roo22 said:
sorry Bernard I agree, I've seen similar.
What I should of said was......

USUALLY there will be another cutout the other side of that wall for the neighbours, with an accessible eath terminal. :)

Not a problem. :D

Until the owner wants power as well as lights....
O

Hi,

Ok, thought I better post an update, I had the DNO out and got a quote of ~£350 to move the service head, as long as I dig a trench to intersect their supply on my property, and at that point make the hole about a meter square. I also have to supply and fit the flush meter box and hockey stick.

On the plus side they will run a new supply to next door free of charge., so we will no longer be sharing a service head.

Result, just a shame it's not cheaper :)

Oh, have already had the meter swapped out for a nice small digital job as well, that was free of charge.

Sponsored Links
£350 aint too bad considering the work involved. Its quite cheap actually, considering the things you hear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back