Service valves - what is the point?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, excuse my ignorance and bear with me..

I have a low pressure system and am about to re-plumb my bathroom (which contains no service valves) and have learnt that pipe bore is everything to make sure there's a decent amount of water coming through.

There is currently a 22mm feed for hot and I have run a new 22mm pipe from CWC for cold to make sure there's a balanced supply to the basin monoblock.

All the pipework runs on the floor next to the skirting board and will be hidden by furniture.

Why should I fork out for 4 expensive full-bore service valves? Currently I close the full bore level valve between CWC and HWC and open the hot water taps to equalise the water level. I even do it in the kitchen to make sure the water level is below the bathroom and therfore no chance of a leak.

I mean realistically how often are you going to use the service valves? I feel like I'm missing something really obvious here.

Sponsored Links
ps I realise I need one for the dedicated CWC feed as there's no way of draining away the water.

Apologies, thought that was aaccepted abbreviation for the cold water cistern in the loft.

Sponsored Links
Do you realise that its usual to use 15 mm to feed 1/2" taps and 22 mm to feed 3/4" taps?

Tony

No, I did not.

But, as I say the existing hot feed is 22mm supplying a 1/2" basin and 3/4" bath tap.

The existing cold feed to basin (and bath) is 15mm mains which completely overpowers the hot.

I wanted to make sure the basin has completely balanced supplies meaning 22mm feeds and reducing couplers to 15mm at the last possible moment.

You will never get balanced supplies whateve pipe sizes you use if cold is mains and hot cistern fed.

There is a pressure ratio of about 20:1

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back