Servicing my Vaillant boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I've got some questions about servicing the Eco TEC Plus 831 which has a 7 year warranty.

A central heating engineer installed my system (4 rads, heated towel rail and Vaillant 831 combi boiler) about November last year. Haven't used the central heating that much, just a few weeks last winter and that was only the heated towel rail and one or two other rads now and then.

The engineer said Vaillant would contact me about a boiler service. Should be about £90 to £100 I think he said. Is that about right or too expensive?

Haven't heard from Vaillant yet, is it absolutely vital I contact them and have it done and would it void my 7 year warranty if a service isn't done?

Sponsored Links
you can get vaillant to service it if you want but it does not have to be done by them , any gas safe engineer with the relevent qualification can service it but make sure they complete your service record accordingly as this is required for your warranty to be valid

you can get vaillant to service it if you want but it does not have to be done by them , any gas safe engineer with the relevent qualification can service it but make sure they complete your service record accordingly as this is required for your warranty to be valid

Right but how much should I expect to pay and must it be done before the end of the year?

it is due a service every 12 months from date of commissioning (doesnt have to be exactly to the date a few weeks either way is fine) afraid I have no knowledge of London rates.

Sponsored Links
It needs to be done around the anniversary of the installation date. A week late does not seem to invalidate the warranty and you can have it does a little early.

I am a little surprised that the installer does not want to do it. Most expect to do services on boilers they fitted!

Don't know why your installer say that Vaillant will contact you. They sometimes do and installers don't like that either! Its your responsibility to arrange the service at the appropriate time! Its likely to be cheaper calling a local independent!

I charge £65 in local area and a bit more further away.

Tony

It needs to be done around the anniversary of the installation date. A week late does not seem to invalidate the warranty and you can have it does a little early.

I am a little surprised that the installer does not want to do it. Most expect to do services on boilers they fitted!

Don't know why your installer say that Vaillant will contact you. They sometimes do and installers don't like that either! Its your responsibility to arrange the service at the appropriate time! Its likely to be cheaper calling a local independent!

I charge £65 in local area and a bit more further away.

Tony

Hi Tony. The engineer did a good job but was always difficult to get hold of when he needed to come back and finish things. Consequently we sort of fell out and now he doesn't answer my calls. He was originally going to come back and do the service, I think he said he charges £80 to £90.

For £65 I'd be very happy and I'm in north london. Is that what you do for a living, you're a professional gas safe registered engineer?

If you want to contact me you would need to do that directly through my profile. You double click on "Agile"

But its a busy time of year and routine servicing has to be fitted in between repairs which always take priority. Normally servicing should be done during the summer months but of course when validation of a warrantee is involved that does not work.

Tony

I've just located the commissioning checklist and service record pages at the back of my Vaillant installation and maintenance manual. Seems I'm a bit premature as the commission date is 11th Jan 2013. The system was installed weeks before that but he took ages to come back and fill in the checklist which then started the 7 year warranty.

Notes of possible interest on the checklist

Inhibitor used Kamco FX2 Chemical.
Scalemaster scale reducer used.

FX2 is a cleaner and not an inhibitor!

Either you have misread it or he has messed up what he has put on the form.

If that's really what he has put you should check it with him as it does need an inhibitor!

It could invalidate the warranty if there is no inhibitor.

Tony

FX2 is a cleaner and not an inhibitor!

Either you have misread it or he has messed up what he has put on the form.

If that's really what he has put you should check it with him as it does need an inhibitor!

It could invalidate the warranty if there is no inhibitor.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I misread. Here's a photo of the benchmark commission checklist. http://i.imgur.com/DaLCOyj.jpg

Hope the image doesn't show upside down, it was for me but I think it's sorted now. Thanks to you mentioning £65 and local engineers, I just arranged a service with a gas safe registered company for the morning of the 10th Jan, and he's charging exactly £65 inc VAT! Sorry I didn't end up using you but you put me on the right track, so much appreciated!

it is due a service every 12 months from date of commissioning (doesnt have to be exactly to the date a few weeks either way is fine) afraid I have no knowledge of London rates.

And thanks for your input too btw, ianmcd. I didn't realise the key words are 'commissioning date' until I saw your post then looked at my checklist :)

I just arranged a service with a gas safe registered company for the morning of the 10th Jan, and he's charging exactly £65 inc VAT!

You won't be getting a service for that. What you'll have is an inspection to see if it needs a full service. A service would mean a new seal worth £20, draining the appliance to check/recharge the expansion vessel and a clean out of the trap as well as all the safety checks.

I just arranged a service with a gas safe registered company for the morning of the 10th Jan, and he's charging exactly £65 inc VAT!

You won't be getting a service for that. What you'll have is an inspection to see if it needs a full service. A service would mean a new seal worth £20, draining the appliance to check/recharge the expansion vessel and a clean out of the trap as well as all the safety checks.

Well let's see if Tony confirms or denies that. He didn't mention what you just said and he would have serviced it for about £65. The engineer I've arranged with didn't warn me of any pre-service inspection, I asked him to service the boiler and that's what he said it would cost. He also said he would do various tests like CO, and checking the radiators don't have any problems like airlocks. I asked him if there would be any new parts needed and he said not if everything is working ok, which it is.

There's no 'lets see'. It' thats I know what's involved fully servicing a Vaillant and you don't.

An inspection is carried out to see if servicing is required. If it isn't the paperwork is completed and that's it.

There's no 'lets see'. It' thats I know what's involved fully servicing a Vaillant and you don't.

An inspection is carried out to see if servicing is required. If it isn't the paperwork is completed and that's it.

By completing paperwork, do you mean where he fills in the service record so that my warranty remains intact? Because that's mostly what I'm doing this for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back