Servowarm Supreme Plus Heat Exchanger - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Have a Servowarm Supreme+ Model GC 4171430. This is the type that sit behind a radiator in a cabinet. It needs a new heat exchanger and the maintenance company (Homeserve) have said they cannot source one from the manufacturer. They're saying I need a new boiler. Got a few questions please:

1. Does anyone know if heat exchangers can still be sourced for these?
2. If not what would be a good replacement boiler?
3. Is there any replacement boiler that can fit into the existing cabinet?

Thanks very much! Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
1. not available
2. best to ask an installer when qouting due to answer to 3
3. not likely

Thanks for the reply. Has anyone owned or know someone who's owned one of these boilers and had to replace it?

Before I start ringing around for quotes what's a rough ballpark figure for a new boiler these days? It's a 2 bed flat. Sorry I know it may vary significantly depending on what's required but any rough indication would be useful.

Thanks again.

as your in a flat, you'd probably be better off coverting to a combi, might be a bit more in the short term but more beneficial long term.
2000-3500 as a very rough guide depending on what work is required and what quality.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. Has anyone owned or know someone who's owned one of these boilers and had to replace it?

Thanks again.

I have never owned one of these!

I do know a customer who engaged us to replace his boiler with a combi.

It was a bit of a nasty job because the pipework was mostly in an old plastic which was VERY brittle and some of the pipework had to be exposed by digging up weak concrete on the floor used to bury pipes.

Tony

the maintenance company (Homeserve) have said they cannot source one from the manufacturer.

by the way, you should be asking for a refund of your payments as they shouldn't be taking money for something they can't repair. If you haven't had any repairs in the last few years, you may even argue that all those payments should be refunded as the parts have been unavailable for some time ;)

Damn, that's a good point fella! Any idea how long these systems have been obselete?

Damn, that's a good point fella! Any idea how long these systems have been obselete?
no idea, probably a while. Most insurance service providers have a policy of advising customers when parts are becoming obsolete, it has 2 uses. Firstly, they satisfy the legalities of charging for services they can't fully provide, and primarily for them, they can try and flog you a new boiler.

Replaced one of these 2 weeks ago.
System was done in truewell pipe which was still in surprisingly good condition. There was even one of those fancy urns! up on the bedroom wall for filling with a bucket.
Full new system fitted.

Thanks for all the replies so far:

Tamz - Out of interest which boiler did you replace it with? & did the new one fit in the existing cabinet or was the old one ripped out completely? Also did the old Servowarm boiler have a cast iron heat exchanger? Was this a pain to remove?

For a 2 bed flat with 5 radiators (inc the existing boiler rad) what is a suitable replacement boiler? & is it better to go with Conventional or Combi?

Installing a combi means removing all existing water tanks etc correct?

Cheers

For a 2 bed flat with 5 radiators (inc the existing boiler rad) what is a suitable replacement boiler? & is it better to go with Conventional or Combi?

Cheers

go with a combi (a good one)

and yep, means ripping out all those old tanks and creating some storage space ;)

Only fit a combi if you have the appropriate incoming mains flow rate :)

if you can piddle faster than your cold tap in the kitchen I would hazard that a combi would be a bad idea :)

Thanks for the tip Corgiman, I'll consider that. Think the cold water pressure is not great but ok.

At the moment I'm leaning towards a conventional boiler to hopefully save some labour and save having to rip out all the water tanks etc. Just want something reliable that can replace the existing boiler.

Thanks all for your comments, been a great help...(anymore opinions welcome!)

Out of interest which boiler did you replace it with?

WB 30CDi fitted in kitchen. New rads new pipework.

did the new one fit in the existing cabinet or was the old one ripped out completely?

Ripped out completely. Nothing will fit in the existing cabinet, only 200mm deep.

Also did the old Servowarm boiler have a cast iron heat exchanger?

Yes, painted silver.

Was this a pain to remove?

No

For a 2 bed flat with 5 radiators (inc the existing boiler rad) what is a suitable replacement boiler?

Depends on your requirements and budget.

Conventional or Combi?

If you have the pressure and flow rate probably a combi for a flat. It will be just as easy to fit (probably easier) and cheaper to run.

Disconnecting and altering pipes around a bit. If you like them you could leave them where they are ;)

I replaced the Servowarm with a Biasi M90-32 as it was just before the need for a condensing boiler.

Part of the advantage of using a combi was that the old tanks could be removed and create a considerable amount of additional storage space in a smaller flat.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back