Setting out positions for downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finally I'm getting round to doing this job.
The technique I plan to use is to run a stringline from each corner to corner. However, I've noticed that in one room the lights are not fitted in this manner; instead they are offset about 1metre from each other clustered more centrally to the middle of the room. Does anyone have any tips and advice for what would look best ? I'm concerned that if I use the string line method it may not look right.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I use the string line from corner to corner to find the exact centre of the room.
Once there you can work out where you want the lights on paper and once happy, you run other lines to line up the lights perfectly.
I use plasterboard screws to hold the lines.

Then decide what the room is, what it will be used for, where you want illumination.

Lighting requirements and positions for a kitchen are very different to those for a living room, (or a bedroom;) )

Sponsored Links
Years ago I had to fit some downlighter in an old farmhouse bathroom, the inner wall was a on quite a curve, the owners were way and gave me free reign, i carefully measured the line of lights to follow the wall, I thought it looked quite good, not so, they insisted on a straight line when they got back from their trip.
A footnote to this job, when I moved a wardrobe a sheaf of A4 paper fell off the top, it was a very explicit collection of pics of the couple having fun with a young guy in a Travelodge, they were retired teachers :eek:

Being more sensible, 50 mm is rather small, so unless maybe 20 down lights at 2W each, the light needs to reflect off a light surface. Often the floor is dark so lights need to point at walls, or be very high, my son tried to replace two fluorescent fittings, well one had a LED tube in it, with 50 mm down lights, so a 24 watt LED tube replaced 12 x 3 watt LED down lights, so 22 watt to 36 watt, and the room was dimmer. Also the LED GU10 lamps started to fail, so £6.50 for one tube, £2 each for GU10 so £24 for down light bulbs.

Lumen went from 2200 lumen to 2640 lumen, but room not as well lit. With a chandelier the bulbs face up to ceiling
4324005_R_Z002B
and the light is spread around the room after reflecting off the ceiling, but if the light shines down it is absorbed by the darker floor. I have made mistakes myself, I fitted low bay lights in a building at 8 meters from floor and very pleased with results, so fitted same lights in workshop 3.5 meters from floor, a failure.

Walk around B&Q and the demo kitchen has the GU10 lamps some 14 foot from the floor, and you think great, so you fit them at 8 foot from floor, and useless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back