Shaver socket in bathroom - hairdryer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a shaver socket in our bathroom, and was wondering if there was such a thing as a hairdryer that could work off of this socket? Can't find anything on the net....

Also, I have a couple of things I'd like to plug in (charger for toothbrush and shaver) - can I get an adapter to enable me to do plug in more than one thing at once?

Hope someone can help...

Steve.

Sponsored Links
as far as i know, that shaver socket will only supply an amp or 2.

no way will you get a hairdryer to work off that.

Adaptors aren't available because the socket can't provide a lot of power. They provide a safe protected current via a transformer, which as said before is limited to a couple of amps. I suggest you plug the other appliances in in the bedroom or on the landing.

...and don't trail the hair dryer into the bathroom. Sockets for hair dyers etc are not provided in bathrooms because electricity and water are a dangerous combination, especially with wet bodies.

Qedelec said:
...and don't trail the hair dryer into the bathroom. Sockets for hair dyers etc are not provided in bathrooms because electricity and water are a dangerous combination, especially with wet bodies.

That has just opened a metal container of wiggly things...

Sponsored Links
well i'm pretty sure continental adaptor (and probablly an intercontinental adaptor too but i don't have one handy) will fit a shaver socket.

but as has been said already you'll probablly just take out the units overload cutout.

i heared someone here tried to notify fitting a schuko socket in a bathroom to german standards (which should be perfectly acceptable under part P) but i dunno how far he got with building control ;).

A legal hair dryer and shaver socket is available. I have used them in hotels. If you look up [removed] you will find a wall mounted hair dryer with built in transformer and a shaver socket outlet.

If you already have a shaver socket it almost certainly has a built in transformer. The electric feed will be the usual wiring. Just disconnect the old shaver socket and connect the wiring to the new product and fix it on the bathroom wall.

It is perfectly legal. Just remember to swith off the socket feed at the fuse box or trip switch first, before starting any work.

--------------------

Link to irrelevant website removed

moderator 9

If you already have a shaver socket it almost certainly has a built in transformer. The electric feed will be the usual wiring. Just disconnect the old shaver socket and connect the wiring to the new product and fix it on the bathroom wall.

Problem is: Most (all?) bathroom shaver sockets are powered from the LIGHTING circuit which will not support a hairdryer, legal or not!

Frank

Shaver sockets and their isolating transformers are designed to supply about 20 Watts.

The average hair drier draws something like 2000 Watts - That's about a hundred times the rated output of the socket.

The transformer primary winding probably isn't even up to drawing enough current to pop a 1 Amp fuse before it overheats.

Is it just me, or can anyone else smell burning transformer windings?

With modern wiring on the lighting circuit it should be fine to replace a shaver socket with a custom hard-wired hairdryer. You may need to uprate the power rating though, which is a simple job, if your lights start to fuse.

A very good hairdryer / shaver socket combo is available for around £45.

BTW those devices are typically 750W. If anyone's interested.

With modern wiring on the lighting circuit it should be fine to replace a shaver socket with a custom hard-wired hairdryer. You may need to uprate the power rating though, which is a simple job, if your lights start to fuse.

NOT GOOD ADVICE

Not so simple to repair the damage after the lighting circuit cables start overheating and melting their insulation. Floor boards up to put new cable in is quite a disruption to domestic bliss.

If you look up [removed] you will find a wall mounted hair dryer with built in transformer and a shaver socket outlet.
Really?

If you know there's one there why don't you show us it, instead of leaving other people to try searching?

The electric feed will be the usual wiring.
Please define "usual".

It is perfectly legal.
Not without applying for Building Regulations approval first.

With modern wiring on the lighting circuit it should be fine to replace a shaver socket with a custom hard-wired hairdryer.
Please define "fine".

You may need to uprate the power rating though, which is a simple job, if your lights start to fuse.
FFS.

Do you not think that perhaps you should actually know what you're talking about before you start giving people advice which could get them killed?

I was thinking of putting an Arc Welder in the bathroom. Will that run off of the usual Shaver Socket wiring Confederacy? :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back