shaver socket position 17ed regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to decide on shaver socket position before tiler arrives thurs so I can cutout a box in the wall.

Please let me know if this rings alarm bells in any experienced Sparks.

I attach a pic of where I would like it to go (the black rectangle in pic). This is within 60cm of bath edge = zone 2 in 17th ed regs.

Can raise it higher up wall if required.

I have a deep 47mm 2 gang box which I can attach to wood support behind plasterboard in the boxed position indicated.

Far enough above basin to prevent splash. Shower attachment on bath is demountable from wall. Regs state socket must be "located where direct spray from showers is unlikely". Does this scupper me even when a shower curtain or screen is used?

There is a clear run for wiring between joists from the ceiling light rose and the position on the plasterboard wall where I want socket sited.

I assume electrician will use a shaver socket that conforms to BS EN 60742. Cant get electrician out before thurs (a last minute decision)

thanks in advance

shaversocket.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it's zone 2 then I'd have thought it will be fine, however the direct spray element will effectively be up to the electrician installing it to decide if it's likely or not. I'd have thought it fine (especially if you get a fixed shower screen rather than a curtain), but it will be up to the spark.

Assuming I'm interpreting what you've said correctly, then cabling can be got to the box without chasing out the wall or having to drill through any noggins in the plasterboard wall, so if you think a spark will happily install it, then leaving a gap in the tiles etc would be fine - a spark is still doing all the wiring etc, so shouldn't refuse to do it because of that. The problem for you is obviously if he/she refuses because of the position, at that point you have a gap in your tiles...

Could you delay your tiler, and get a spark in first, or even get a spark in for a quick 5 minute "is this an OK position" check - you might be able to find one willing to do that?

Sponsored Links
What's behind the plasterboard that backs onto the sink - if studded (screwholes suggest it) would it not be safer to go for a shaving light - you would have to remove some board to run a trunking or drawstring down through the horizontal noggin, but at least it buys you a bit of time - ask the tiler to leave a tile off in the estimated position for you to complete after the electrician has been and done his bit,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back