Shed build cock-up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I think I've messed up my first (from scratch) shed build. Installed a base, floor and three of the walls, and was happy with how it was going until I realised I had dug the base out too deep and the shed is sitting 5-10 cms below ground level. The base is also is sitting directly on the slabs. So when it Twain’s when it rains, I'll have a shallow swimming pool below my shed which the joists are going to be sitting in.

My questions is, is there a simple solution to solving this issue without taking it all apart? Would just raising the shed off the slabs be enough?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
a couple of courses of bricks on your slab will enable you to lift the joists.

And/or dig a French Drain around the slab. if the ground is not porous enough for the water to soak away without rising above the slab's dpm, lead it away from the shed, sloping downwards, into a soakaway. If there is no dpm, the timbers in contact with the damp concrete will rot.

Also, fit good gutters and downpipe to the roof of the shed so that water does not run onto the ground around it. A garden waterbutt is useful, but have an overflow near the top to take excess to your soakaway.

Sponsored Links
the plastic things have insufficient lift.

yeah, noticed that after I posted it. The ground is pretty uneven around the shed, and the highest point is about 6cm. Rather than bricks, was going to get the some concrete blocks delivered. Shouldn’t be too difficult to jack up the shed and place them under? Ive only got the base and three walls to lift.

Took a quick photo this morning to show issue.

Attachments

• E3A7EC5E-1FA2-437F-9E29-AF9A5AA871B5.jpeg
    E3A7EC5E-1FA2-437F-9E29-AF9A5AA871B5.jpeg
    616.3 KB · Views: 216
Some 4x2 flat or on edge around the bottom and under the floor as necessary.

Thanks woody. My issue was the timber of the base sitting in water, so placing more 4x2 under it creates the same problem? Unless I misunderstood your advice?

On second thought, as we’re laying new lawn at some point, would it be worth just using some extra paving slabs to raise it and level off the highest points around the edge of the dirt? That way there isn’t going to be a big step to get into the shed.

On second thought, as we’re laying new lawn at some point, would it be worth just using some extra paving slabs to raise it and level off the highest points around the edge of the dirt? That way there isn’t going to be a big step to get into the shed.

A step is not an issue, unless you must wheel equipment in and out. My shed was 6" above ground level and my partners mobility scooter was kept in there. I simply made a fixed ramp from alloy chequer plate.

I'm essentially trying to create something like the attached photo, just a bit longer. So no over hang and a flat roof. Drainage, is it best to construct something like the 2nd photo? With a downpipe leading to a waterbutt?

f12cb4fc64bbfa878a06ff27c9820e70.jpg
3abb6dd1d9f35ee4af15b2eb0d9714a5.jpg

Thanks woody. My issue was the timber of the base sitting in water, so placing more 4x2 under it creates the same problem? Unless I misunderstood your advice?
Would it really be sitting in water. Surely there is some run off. As long as its tanalised timber it will be OK to get wet, as long as water does drain.

I'm essentially trying to create something like the attached photo, just a bit longer. So no over hang and a flat roof. Drainage, is it best to construct something like the 2nd photo? With a downpipe leading to a waterbutt?

View attachment 186631 View attachment 186632
That does look nice, but the issue with that type of design with no roof overhang, is that rain saturates the timber and it weathers terribly from the top.

Would it really be sitting in water. Surely there is some run off. As long as its tanalised timber it will be OK to get wet, as long as water does drain.
I don’t think it will pool, but form what I’ve heard, having the timber sitting directly in the paving isn’t recommended? It’s pressure treated.

I can dig an area around the paving and fill with pea shingle to help drain. Do you think that would be sufficient?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back