Shhhh!! Don't tell Mrs Secure...

I have resigned myself to the fact that I cannot find an MP3 clock radio, so am settling for a clock radio with ipod dock & an ipod shuffle.

However, most of the clock radios with ipod docks only suit the older ipods. I rang Wharfedale to ask them if their model (in Argos catalogue) would suit an ipod shuffle.

Him: "Hello, technical?"

Me: "Hello. I'm thinking of buying the Wharfedale ICR 27 and need to find out before I buy it which ipods it supports."

Him: "OK. Before I can help you, what's your name?"

Me: "I only want to ask you a product-related question, not place an order."

Him: "I know, but we have to ask these questions for security reasons. What's your name please?"

[Me sorely tempted to say Bin Laden...but gives name]

Him: "Good. Now what's your address?"

Me: "For heaven's sake....why do you need my address? ALL I WANT TO DO IS ASK A QUESTION ABOUT A PRODUCT TO DECIDE IF I WANT TO BUY IT!!"

Him: "Sir, if you don't give me your details I cannot process your enquiry."

[Sorely tempted to tell him where to get off, but is torn because I want to find a clock radio with ipod dock suited to the ipod shuffle...gives him the address]

Him: "Could I have your phone number?"

[Bites tongue...]

Him: "OK. I'm now able to process your enquiry."

Me: "I'd like to know which ipods are compatible with the Goodmans ICR 27."

Him: "I need a catalogue number for that product."

[Bites tongue again. He could have done exactly what I did, which was open the Argos website & type the model number in the search box....]

Me: "It's 513-5884..."

Him: "Let me look..Well, the picture shows an ipod in the docking station, so I guess it's suitable for an ipod."

Me: "[Grits teeth] There are many different models & generations of ipod...can you tell me if an ipod shuffle will fit?"

Him: "No sorry, I can't tell you. I can give you another number to try..."

[Tries the other number, discovers that the best Argos can offer me is to come in & look at the product to see whether it is compatible...If they or Wharfedale cannot tell me, how am I going to know any better by looking at the product?]

[Shrugs]

Sponsored Links
:?: Secures, I don't know if you have me on ignore for some reason but you seem to have missed my previous post to this thread regarding the use of iTunes/Limewire. However, I shall TRY to help you once again.

All you need (for an iPod compatable Radio Alarm Clock), is a model that allows for 'Universal Docking' for iPod. You also need to make sure an 'iPod Shuffle' has got a 'Docking Connection'. Usually on the bottom of the player.

A quick look at Argos brought up this one for £29.39.

Goodmans GCR1872 iPod Alarm Clock.

69-5134108A69UC458317X.jpg

Features are:

FM/MW stereo tuner.
Snooze function.
Dual alarm.
Wake to radio/buzzer/iPod.
24 hour clock.
Size (H)6.2, (W)15, (D)15cm
Digital tuner.
Adjustable sleep timer.
LCD display.
Universal dock for iPod.
Headphone socket.
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...gle&keyword=Goodmans+GCR1872+iPod+Alarm+Clock

Another from Play.com and/or Amazon.co.uk is:

Logic3 I-Station Clock And Docking Station at £39.99. Available in White or Black.

41za603lnjL._SS500_.jpg
41OvBMrNeAL._SS500_.jpg

Features are:

Stereo Alarm Clock Radio and docking station for re-charging & Sync iPods.
AM/FM Radio
Choose to wake up to iPod, Radio or Buzzer
Snooze/Sleep functions
Includes iPod Universal Dock, compatible with any iPod with Dock Connector.
Remote Control
12 Watts RMS
2 x 6 Watts RMS - Full Range drivers
Includes USB cable to allow synchronisation
3 Level Dimmer control for display
White/Black LED Display for Clock and Menu Functions.
3.5mm Stereo Line-in Cable (Included) for the playing other audio devices including iPod shuffle, MiniDisc, CD player, MP3 etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logic3-iStation-Alarm-Clock-Radio/dp/B000W0AU12/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_img_a

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...+I-Station+Clock+And+Docking+Station+(Black)#

Sponsored Links
Secure: when you buy an iPod, you get a little piece of plastic in the packaging that fits into the gap in any docking station-equipped things you buy. That is what allows you to fit different sizes and generations of iPods into the same piece of equipment.

I don't wish to cloud the issue but always feel obliged to mention this whenever a friend or family member considers buying an iPod: iTunes (the software used to "manage" the iPod on your computer) is rather unstable and clunky on Windows... Unsurprisingly it works pretty well on a Mac - all part of Jobs' big plan to convert the masses!

I know this from experience, I've had to fix several busted iTunes installations in the past and made the mistake of allowing my o/h to install iTunes on my (Vista 64) PC.

However, my Mac-loving brother's eyes gleam as he recounts how wonderfully Apple products talk to each other if you have a Mac.

The PC vs Mac debate is one which divides families and causes brawls between media-arty-types with asymmetric hairstyles from San Francisco to Soho. But no further.

Blas..

Thanks for your efforts. Believe me, I have looked at all those products. The problem (as I confirmed today) is that the ipod shuffle is not supported as it does not have a dock connector.

Sony is my last hope: they have a dock-radio (like the play on words? ;) ) into which you can plug an ipod shuffle, via the headphone socket.

The only problem there is that I think (like the Wharfedale model I viewed at Argos today) it will allow playback of the ipod through the speakers but not a "wake-to-ipod" feature.

If this is the case, then the only option would be to ditch the shuffle & buy a nano...

Donk, cheers. Well aware of Mac/PC compatibility issues... :cry:

No worries Secures.

I didn't think the Shuffle had a Docking Port.

Does this Clock Radio have to be connected to an MP3/iPod Player? What I'm getting at is, would you be happy with a Clock Radio that allows 'wake up' to your wife's MP3 tunes that are stored on a Memory Card/Flash Drive?

What about this one below? I've bought from Pixmania a few times and they've been great.

AKAI AR-110 Radio Alarm Clock - £ 30 Inc. VAT

l_00040760.jpg

Looks like it allows connection of an MP3 Player via USB and SD Card. And wake up to MP3 etc.

The AR-110 radio alarm clock from Akai lets you start your day on a musical note and has an audio input, which allows you to hook up your iPod or MP3 player too! Its alarm system can be set to suit you, because you can choose to wake up to your favourite radio station or start the day listening to your MP3 tracks. The AR-110 also has an SD card reader and a double alarm function with double LCD display..
Also featuring a 4-band equaliser, the AR-110 makes sure you get out on the right side of the bed!

Tuner Digital tuner Yes
Analog tuner No
Frequency AM/FM
Direct access button Yes
Clock Buzz alarm Yes
Radio alarm Yes
Snooze control Yes

Extra functions
Double alarm
Double white LCD display
USB port
SD/MMC card reader
Alarm via USB or memory card Random play

AUX audio input
Equaliser: classical, pop, rock, jazz

Product information Dimensions 68 x 80 x 77 mm
Weight 950 g

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/582925/art/akai/ar-110-radio-alarm-clock.html?form=49#tech-specs

Another one here mate.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/MAG-Cube-Alarm-Clock-with-128Mbplus-MP3-WMA-Player-Black-with-SD-Slot

This next one looks really nice as it is also a Digital Photo Frame.

http://www.wedodigital.co.uk/produc...hoto-frame--alarm-clock--fm-radio/phi-ajl308/

You can read some reviews of that one on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-AJL308-Clock-7-Inch-Display/dp/B000U6LEGS

EDIT: Scratch that last one. Looking at the reviews it seems you cannot set it to wake to MP3! Sorry mate.

this a completely unecessary requirement.

as you can receive planet rock, why would you need anything else to wake up to? :confused:

Your opening statement was a lead into the rest of the post I see.

I'm totally confused :confused:

no wait...
I understand ;)

(looks in code book for correct response)

the herrings allways fly south for the easter

so wheres the microfilm :)

Cheers, Blas!

The Akai looks hopeful.

I prefer the Philips, but having downloaded the instruction manual from the philips website, it would seem that contrary to the website you linked to, you can't wake to USB, just playback through the unit.

Have e-mailed P to confirm.

If not, I'll buy the Akai. It's reassuring to hear that Pixmania are reliable.

As ever, not a problem Secures. :D

Good luck with the Phillips one.

If it won't allow 'wake to MP3', please do phone/email Pixmania (Tel No 08700 118 117), before you purchase the Akai one, just to make double sure it does allow 'wake up to MP3' etc. I'd hate for it to be wrong after all this! As for 'safety' of buying from Pixmania, Pixmania.com is in 26 European countries. Has 15 million unique visitors per month and more than 6 million customers. Size isn't everything (as I keep telling the wife! :) ), but I feel it gives you a little more confidence in dealing with a company. As I say, I've bought a number of things from them without a single problem mate.

For your info Secures, I just found out Pixmania are doing 5% off everything (under £400) until 17th December. The Code for that deal is:

HAPPIX4UK

Select the products you want to buy. Enter the promotional code at the checkout. Valid till midnight, 17 Dec 2008.

Also, if you go through Quidco you'll 'earn' another 6%.

Good luck once again mate.

Sponsored Links
Back