"Shipmates"

M

Moz

This is a BBC Docu on the crew of HMS Chattam,

I watched last nights show wiping tears from my face at how upsetting it was , the aftermath of last boxing days Tsunami (sp?),
the ship was sent to help clear up an give aid , when one "Jack" was showing the kiddies plimsolls they were finding in the deluged convent/orphanage stinking/sewage mud was heartbreaking ,as the thought was What had happened too the lil kids wearing them when the waves struck ..... :(
It really was heart wrenching an it shows we Brits are the Best of the World as we/general public gave more than all of the rest of Europe in donations ..

an when the ships vicar went to the orphanage an was playing games with these poor lil mites who had lost everyone an to see them smiling had me blubbering like a baby ....just made me feel very lucky and how Privileged we in the UK are ...

I tip my hat to the RN /services on how outstanding they were .... ;)

On another point could you imagine the Yanks doing this ,hearts an minds stuff , they would of gone in gungho an killed everyone in case "Them Terrorist in the woodpile" were around ,lol

This was the Beeb at its best ...

Sponsored Links
Why don't we put this into perspective? Indonesia is the 4th most populated country in the world (4 times the population of the UK). About 50 thousand of them were killed in a freak wave. So what did they do to help themselves? Not a lot. They expected aid to come from all over the world (which it did) and most of it has disappeared (surprise, surprise).

Around 400,000 of them die from cigarette smoking each and every year - but they don't need aid for that little lot.

If you really want to feel sorry for the world then look at sub-saharan Africa where almost 6 million children die each and every year from hunger.

6 million of them EVERY year. Now where have I heard that figure before?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4459348.stm

joe

If you really want to feel sorry for the world then look at sub-saharan Africa where almost 6 million children die each and every year from hunger.

I don't wish to sound hard and unfeeling about these situations but the hard facts are these people live in parts of the world that cannot sustain huge populations as there aren't the natural resources to do so. It doesn't matter how much aid you throw at them, things won't really change until they are informed about effective contraception and population control, they can't carry on breeding like rabbits and expect the rest of the world to feed them.

lol...
talk about Hijacking threads ....
this was about the RN helping with the aid /healthcare in Sri Lanka after the tsunami...
not wether some many blacks die in Africa ... *shakes head in disbelief at crassness*

Sponsored Links
Moz said:
lol...
talk about Hijacking threads ....
this was about the RN helping with the aid /healthcare in Sri Lanka after the tsunami...
not wether some many blacks die in Africa ... *shakes head in disbelief at crassness*

So you only like a good story then? The fact that 6 million die every year means nothing to you? How the world loves a circus. How shallow is the world?

joe

Moz said:
This is a BBC Docu on the crew of HMS Chattam,

I watched last nights show wiping tears from my face at how upsetting it was , the aftermath of last boxing days Tsunami (sp?),
the ship was sent to help clear up an give aid , when one "Jack" was showing the kiddies plimsolls they were finding in the deluged convent/orphanage stinking/sewage mud was heartbreaking ,as the thought was What had happened too the lil kids wearing them when the waves struck ..... :(
It really was heart wrenching an it shows we Brits are the Best of the World as we/general public gave more than all of the rest of Europe in donations ..

an when the ships vicar went to the orphanage an was playing games with these poor lil mites who had lost everyone an to see them smiling had me blubbering like a baby ....just made me feel very lucky and how Privileged we in the UK are ...

I tip my hat to the RN /services on how outstanding they were .... ;)

On another point could you imagine the Yanks doing this ,hearts an minds stuff , they would of gone in gungho an killed everyone in case "Them Terrorist in the woodpile" were around ,lol

This was the Beeb at its best ...
This gets my vote for post of the year, well done Moz!

Kendo
if seeing
the STARS are the RN .. who were picking up kiddie boddie parts/burying them , an on the cross in biro ..... saying for bits /the whole too Jesus/God etc ..

if not above but still I was a very tearful /too bits ... true ..

an thankful I offered last time after boxing time ...

yeah i watched it too. very moving and nice to see that it was a joint effort between those that were helping and those that needed help.

Charity? We gave most? I'm not that proud of that, unfortunately. Now, the Indian Ocean tsunami was a terrible thing, but unfortunately it turned into a local, national and international "who can give most money to charity?" competition.

Like many people, I have a few charities I support through direct debits. I give what I believe to be a decent chunk of money each month, and I don't deny that it made me feel good when I signed off the direct debit agreement. That's my choice, and I think people should only give to charities they SUPPORT. Charity for charity's sake is silly, don't donate to a cause you aren't bothered about!

But after the tsunami struck everything turned to "send money to the tsunami victims!". Fair enough. But then I had to put up with idiots who I know NEVER gave money before that being so self-righteous about it. "Oh, well i put £20 in the collection bucket". "Only £20? I put in £50!" Yeh, great, what do they want, a freakin' cookie?

Rightly or wrongly ..
Norway decided to donate roughly £100million and thats just from the government. Public donations amounted to £20million and the first government donation was £10million, all together 1.3billion Krone, a lot of money, especially for a population of 4.5million people!

Another country doing great from a small population ... Like Oz.
WTF are we doing with 60 mills then?

I bet corruption is rife in Indonesia .. that is how they go about things, dangle huge wads of dosh at them and what'll happen??? We are so street unwise it isn't true.

Speaking of hi-jacking ... Hold this one ..
http://www.sydes.net/jokes/pictures/b/blair_bush.jpg
http://www.sydes.net/jokes/pictures/h/holy_war.jpg
:D :D

Why couldn't a country of 240 million look after their own? The houses are simple wooden structures that could be rebuilt in no time.

Where did all the money go? I gave them nothing at all, and I don't feel guilty about that.

joe

joe-90 said:
Why don't we put this into perspective?

Around 400,000 of them die from cigarette smoking each and every year - but they don't need aid for that little lot.

joe
B.A.T. shares, anyone :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back