shooting the burglars

splinter said:
scatmanjohn said:
splinter wrote:

I am a bit concerned that you are quite happy to kill someone that broke into you're house, not just by a knee-jerk reaction where you might panic and say for instance shoot the burglar

Never said i was happy about it.

You have not answered the last question that i asked.

Also what would you do in this situation...you haven't said yet

I am not sure what you're question is ,if itabout which way you should kill a burgular eg :-either by baseball bat,posion /lethal injection or gun.I think you should go for lethal injection or posion as Icould see the others messing up the carpet and wallpaper :rolleyes:

In an earlier post you seemed to suggest the manslaughter would be ok.
So i asked

So is manslaughter ok

Then in a later post i asked:

Also what would you do in this situation...you haven't said yet

By that i mean if some mad man was in your house, who ,for all you know, wants to kill you and your family what would you do?
Seriously, what would you do?

Sponsored Links
smj i agree with you if i caught them they would be put to sleep wether they come around or died when the police arrived there lucky, thats what goes with the job (burglar), and like you say that might not be their intention. I caught the end of the documentery and i think he was prepared for the next burglar and unfortunetly some young guy died and like what tony said they shouldnt of been their and the tables could of easely turned, how many times do you hear of people being killed,raped or abducted in their own homes and the culprit getting 2/3 years jail, get out to repeat again.

Ah I see now.
When you said you'd lose the "plot"I interpreted it as being in a situation of fear maybe panic hit the buglar with a baseball consequenly killing him this I would see as manslaughter as apposed to what Tony Martin done which I see as murder.
you also upped the anti by introducing a wife and family into the equation
this again is completely differnt to Mr Martin's situation so the stakes become higher.If youmean what I now think you mean in that you would batter a burglar to death in you're come what ever ,I would have to change my mind and say that would be murder and that is according to U.K law.
As to what I would do ,Ireally don't know what I would until the situation arose and in all honesty I think that would the answer you would get from any like minded sane person

splinter said:
Ah I see now.
When you said you'd lose the "plot"I interpreted it as being in a situation of fear maybe panic hit the buglar with a baseball consequenly killing him this I would see as manslaughter as apposed to what Tony Martin done which I see as murder.
this again is completely differnt to Mr Martin's situation so the stakes become higher.If youmean what I now think you mean in that you would batter a burglar to death in you're come what ever ,I would have to change my mind and say that would be murder and that is according to U.K law.
As to what I would do ,Ireally don't know what I would until the situation arose and in all honesty I think that would the answer you would get from any like minded sane person

I still can't find the bit were you have answered the first question.

Is manslaughter ok

A simple yes or no will do

Just as a reminder

There is the difference Smj,
You lose the plot= manslaughter.Tony Martin lays in wait with a PUMP ACTION SHOTGUN =murder

this again is completely differnt to Mr Martin's situation so the stakes become higher

At what point are the stakes high enough.

People with families...OK
Single people living alone...?????

Sponsored Links
Assuming the barking from the weimaraner doesn't put them off and they proceed to break into my house. If they get past the dog licking they'd be met with a naked mush (assuming it's night time) at the top of the stairs unloading an 8 shot semi-automatic air pistol into them. And I'd be going for head shots too - take no chances. Zero tolerance.

scatman, I appreciate you are waiting for a reply from splinter to your questions.

Another thought from me..

If I am alone in the house with my children and an intruder came in, (if I had the bottle) then I think I would be probably more justified in hitting someone much harder in self defence, before they hit me, than my husband would, as he is much much bigger than me.

I am making the assumption that the burglars would be male here.

Its about proportion isnt it.

Stopping someone breaking in, stopping them hurting you or family but not then going on to kill them if they are no longer a threat to you.

It would depend on the circumstances wouldnt it.

If you came downstairs and switched on the lights and found a small 15year old 5feet 2inch boy nicking your gear and he sees you and makes a run for the door, then you cant justify killing him can you.

If you go downstairs and get ambushed by an intruder brandishing a knife and they try and stab you and your wife comes in and gets a knife from the kitchen and stabs them to save you... it would be ok.

I tried to hide my family, difficult with a baby who might cry any minute... but if I had been attacked, then who knows...
I thought about getting a knife but what if they used it on us???

its a scary situation...

I had a "near" break-in some yrs back....sound asleep..."something" woke me up....strange rattling noise from the front room....half asleep, get up ...thinking it must be the cat into something....get halfway down the hall and with the dim light from night light can seem that someone has busted through the lock and is struggling to get chain off the door (have learned since to put deadbolts on)....adrenalin kicked in....ran towards the door and hit full force....catching the "a shole"'s hand in the door...a little panicky at this stage because it dawned on me that if this attempt failed, would just pis s him off.....so, picked up the nearest thing...a medium size pewter statue from the table and started slinging away....cussing the whole time....obviously he didnt have a gun...or I would not be here.

Put the fear in me.......so turned it around....took some classes...learned how to use one....now have small 32 on the bedside table....havent had to use it since....but am prepared to defend myself and my space if need be.

Atta girl!
Next time just drill him through the letterbox. You do have letterboxes don't you and not those tubes at the end of your drive?

gcol said:
Atta girl!
Next time just drill him through the letterbox. You do have letterboxes don't you and not those tubes at the end of your drive?

letterboxes...I've seen them, but no...have a mailbox....have a postoffice box, too....since there are some who get a kick out of bashing them. There are some mighty mean folks about. I dont believe generally speaking in taking the vigilante course....but if someone deliberately makes the decision to be where they are not invited...and proceeds to take what is not theirs....and I am in the position to do something about it to defend me and mine....I will not allow myself to be frozen with fear and to live in fear until THEY decide when I can be in peace....live is too short to live like that.

thankyou moz... :LOL:

Ive yet to work out whether you really do think brightness and I are one and the same, but as I dont really understand any of the stuff about multi nics, trolls, and other things anyway, Im not going to fret over it! :rolleyes:

You cutting down still or not?

You could set up a blue peter style empty stella can DIY burglar booby trap....

or make a moat of the stuff....

toffee said:

If I am alone in the house with my children and an intruder came in, (if I had the bottle) then I think I would be probably more justified in hitting someone much harder in self defence, before they hit me, than my husband would, as he is much much bigger than me.

Toffs, a few years back when the kids were small I had a very scary experience. I'd been getting weird phone calls from someone as soon as hubby left for work. Telling me what I was wearing, asking me to meet them all sorts of things and it only ever seemed to happen when hubby was on nights.

Really freaked me out but hubby had to go to work...

Anyway, this one night I felt very uneasy about going to bed for some reason (female intuition?) and around 3am the phone started to ring. On the advice of the police I just let it ring but it kept ringing and ringing so in the end I thought it must be something important so I wandered downstairs to answer it but as I did so they rang off so i wandered back upstairs.

As I got to the top of the stairs I heard a noise and turned to see that the door handle was going up and down very slowly and also could see a shadow of someone quite large by the glass in the front door. I almost died of fright but my faithful GSD was lying at the bottom of the stairs ...

She was fast asleep until I yelled 'Ted, door - get them' at her and she launched herself at the door - almost going through the glass. I looked out of the landing window to see someone running across the road and hiding in the bushes.

I charged down the stairs and rang the police who came straight out. They were brilliant (as they knew we'd been having problems anyway). They actually told me that I should have opened the door and let the dog get whoever it was (she was an ex police dog).

Whoever it was that tried to get in didn't succeed anyway - thank heavens but they did some damage to the door where they had tried to force the lock (double glazed door with double locks) and also it looked like they'd tried to jemmy it open with something as well.

The police did do extra night patrols around our area for the next few nights just in case whoever it was decided to try again - we lived in the middle of nowhere with only a couple of farms and a few other houses for company.

I must admit that not much scares me but that did and ever since then, whenever hubby is on nights or away I sleep with a stave (heavy wooden truncheon) under the mattress. The dogs we've got now would be no use they'd run and hide LOL & my kids although they are strapping teenagers would sleep through anything!

Brightness.. watching the door handle move... really scary.

Another thing that I now do is keep my mobile beside the bed because of phones being cut.

I dont know if this is just a woman thing (granted, not all women feel the same) but when I think someone is outside my house, or when I know they are in it... I feel 100% fear.

Hubby feels anger first then a bit of fear but not fear like I do.

I realise Im probably generalising here but in my experience, most of my women friends feel the same.

In my case this is because I know that when it comes to physical fighting... men are generally stronger and will overpower a woman.

toffee...
I felt the same way before. But with fear comes a fight or flight response....a sense of survival that I think everyone has (might be wrong on that one)....if you cant run and hide (which isnt a bad thing, necessarily)--adrenalin kicks in and you will find you have more strength than you realize....think about the scenario where a young mother finds the strength to move a a very heavy object (Ive heard a car) to free her child who was pinned underneath....same principle...even if not the same thing.

Sponsored Links
Back