Shop exterior uplight recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a small shop and I want to light the sign on the shopfront - the swan neck sign lights are one option but I'm also considering something that might give a soft glow under/uplighting the sign, if anyone could recommend anything?

I had considered flexible LED striplights (IP65) but not sure if they're suitable/bright/safe enough. Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
My spark's very busy so can only come to fit, he just said "check out commercial light places".

I had seen the trough lights thanks Rocky, but thought they'd be too visible, looking for more discreet.

Sponsored Links
Thanks SFK - looks more like it but 25w isn't likely to be bright enough in daylight hours is it?

Dagoof,
you are correct, 25W per linear meter will not be bright (or even visible) in daylight.
But I am not sure that anything is available that is bright enough to be seen in daylight, even a row of LED spotlights.
SFK

Yeah, as well as internal lighting I've also got 4x35w spots shining in the window display but it's not doing much. The shop looks very dark from outside but we were aiming for a cosy feel inside and I'd guess the only way to make it visible from the outside is to be very bright inside.

Damn you physics! :ROFLMAO:

So thought concentrating on the signage might be the way forward but swan-necks may be better for that afterall?

Dagoof
No real experience on Shop lighting.

But I know it is a bit of a dark art to get it right - which is why there are so many articles on it and why so many of these articles say that it improves sales IF you employ a lighting architect.
eg https://www.ledvance.com/news-and-stories/stories/lighting-design-in-hospitality/index.jsp

From my zero experience My quick thoughts are:
- Spots can be bad unless used well as they only illuminate small circles of an area (so great for picking out selected items).
- Are the 4x35w spots shining on the display, or into space. As you need to illuminate items to make contrast to make window look occupied.
- Do you have any diffuse light illuminating the window?
- I have seen a lot of Cafes put interesting lamps/lights hanging in window, to illuminate items below, have row of lights to attach attention and also to show how nice and homely it is inside:
https://www.google.com/search?clien....0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.0.0....0.AKoCkNPOZcQ
- Do you have any selected parts of the interior (again, contrast) at the back of the cafe itself well illuminated so people can see to back and see how nice it looks (or on the say cake counter so they can see the food).

SFK

Last edited:
It's just a small shop SFK, I'll need to worry about breaking even before anything like a lighting architect! Thanks for the link, I had read similar articles when setting the shop up and I'm happy with it internally but revisiting some of the points you list will definitely help.

The 35w ones (on the left side of the window) aren't positioned as I would've liked, so only able to partially hit the window display.
I also put diffuse light on the right side (basically an under-cabinet kitchen light pointed inwards on the display) but, again, it's not achieving much.

Dagoof,
Don't worry I was not suggesting that you get a lighting architect :> , more that commercial lighting is actually v difficult to get right, and annoying because trial-and-error is complex and expensive as I know from trying to light offices and workspaces.

Hence I am sorry but not happy to suggest specific light. But note that the 25W light I suggested before is 25W of LED light, which is a lot brighter than old lighting types.

As you are using this inside, these could also be used as uplights (note that as you are a business I am only linking you to reliable commercial company products, no ebay items).
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/LED_Undercupboard_Fittings/index.html

SFK

No worries SFK, just happy to get your informed opinion (y)

And thanks for the link but the low-profile light was intended/a consideration for external light.

I do believe you may also need some sort of planning permission to fit external lighting on a shopfront

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back