Shortening a lath and plaster wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to shorten a lath and plaster wall. As you might guess where I need to make the cut is not where there is an upright! One side of the wall is in the bedroom so is accessible whereas the other is in the airing cupboard and I would dearly love to avoid taking this to pieces to add plasterboard and to re-plaster. The airing cupboard side is however supported by a wall at right angles to it - so maybe I have a chance.
I wondered if I could make access holes to the void between the sides of the wall and squirt in expanding foam (not the high expansion stuff which would probably balloon the walls) and this might bind it together well enough for me to make the cut and add an upright to support it?
I'd appreciate advice from those with more experience in these matters.
Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Hmm. Well no help from the experts then but I did fill the void with expanding foam (after spraying some steam in to dampen the inside of the walls for better adhesion). I then cut through the wall with a jig saw using a long sharp blade -possibly a Bosch T101B. It all went very well. The wall held together and it wasn't all that messy - I connected the jig saw up to a vacuum cleaner. I had to resort to a reciprocating saw to cut through the noggins. Maybe it would have been the same without the foam but I'm happy with the process and the outcome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back