should gas hob have isolation valve?

Slight problem is that most iso valves that would be used on a hob are compression.

Questionable if fitting behind a screwed in oven is very accessible.

Sponsored Links
Why is that?

If a kitchen fitter calls me to connect a hob then I usually try to fit in well with his timescale and charge a very reasonable price!

I would love to think that some other trades might do the same to me.

well thats what I would do as well. I guess I am sore at being charged 2 hrs (ie so much) for such a little job (whether that be due to a high hourly rate or a long work time) . I Theres expensive and theres taking advantage and this is erring on the latter. I'm sure if I posted a pic up there would not be a single one of you guys who would say it would take them longer than an hour. Of course this may all be due to an engineer (employee) spinning the job out and putting his time sheets on the desk whereby the girl gets out the calculator adds it up and posts me the bill. I tend always to want to use bigger firms as get faster service but have a feeling big firms systems are more automated and you get this sort of thing from time to time..

at the risk of boring people to tears ;) - theres 2 sides to this re. cost. 1) what should it cost 2) whats the market rate because the two are not neccessarily the same. If I was a gas guy, I would NOT want to plumb in a hob for £60 - £90 etc as I would want well compensating for accepting a liability and for me that price is not enough. In fact I may well say its £120 take it or leave it or even £139! BUT if the market rate is £60 to £90 which I believe it is then why should I be the mug in paying £139?

Sponsored Links
BUT if the market rate is £60 to £90 which I believe it is
WHY do you believe that ?

only because you think it would take that amount of time doesn't mean thats how much you should be paying ;)

after all you've got your wife to sort the mess out anyway :whistle:

Fitting a hob on Tuesday, quoted price of £130 to include less than 0.5m 15mm, an isolation valve, a couple of fittings, clips and my time plus the tests and relevant cert and this is in sunny cash strapped skegness.

This is a reasonable price to pay in this area so depending on where you are yours is more than reasonable.

Only thing I would say is to call and ask them to fit the isolation valve as it is required.

@Agile behind a cooker is most definitely classed as accessible so compression is not only allowed it is deemed necessary as how would you remove the hob without cutting pipework? Also there are many many capillary quarter turn gas cocks so I don't know where you are looking but if you can't find them let me know and I'll give you a link.

Mounted correctly they will never hinder a standard oven install and should they become stiff they are very easily serviced. Man of your calibre should know this stuff.

thanks aqua :) the bossman is ringing me back tomorrow, he's already said the valve should have been fitted and that he will book that in. If he tells me his standard rate for this job is £139.00 I'll take it on the chin and move on. Its his perogative to charge what he wants, its up to me to accept the price or not. They've done regular work for us so I didnt ask for a quote ( I'm not a quote chaser) He did say in a conversation 2 mths ago, that it wouldnt be a big job/ wont take long - perhaps his definition of that is different to mine;) he doesnt know what his fitter did on the day apart from "plumb in the hob"- maybe on seeing a pic he'll accept £139 is a bit dear, we'll see....Clearly I could have got it done for around £70 had I waited a week or bought from a retailer who fits but i chose a local firm who had worked for me before...

thanks aqua :) the bossman is ringing me back tomorrow, he's already said the valve should have been fitted and that he will book that in. If he tells me his standard rate for this job is £139.00 I'll take it on the chin and move on. Its his perogative to charge what he wants, its up to me to accept the price or not. They've done regular work for us so I didnt ask for a quote ( I'm not a quote chaser) He did say in a conversation 2 mths ago, that it wouldnt be a big job/ wont take long - perhaps his definition of that is different to mine;) he doesnt know what his fitter did on the day apart from "plumb in the hob"- maybe on seeing a pic he'll accept £139 is a bit dear, we'll see....Clearly I could have got it done for around £70 had I waited a week or bought from a retailer who fits but i chose a local firm who had worked for me before...

Not really @matz I business has a cost per hour. If you are in a trade then you should realise this. The charge of £140 Inc VAT and materials for just an hour is reasonable. You say that he took 2 but had to struggle with a kitchen carcass? It's hard to say without seeing it but I would say the price is in the middle/normal range of pricing to be fair.

Interesting that you mention the fitting from a retailer for just £70. Do you realise how many caveats they put into it and how many installs they refuse to do? The one I have booked in on Tuesday is one such job as the original delivery and install was refused due to, and I quote, "pipework is to small and painted" this was 15mm pipework and all tests were fine.

You gets what you pay for matz and you are getting the valve added FOC (even though it should be there anyway) so all is good and the price you paid is fair.

Jon

Not really @matz I business has a cost per hour. If you are in a trade then you should realise this. The charge of £140 Inc VAT and materials for just an hour is reasonable. You say that he took 2 but had to struggle with a kitchen carcass? It's hard to say without seeing it but I would say the price is in the middle/normal range of pricing to be fair.

Interesting that you mention the fitting from a retailer for just £70. Do you realise how many caveats they put into it and how many installs they refuse to do? The one I have booked in on Tuesday is one such job as the original delivery and install was refused due to, and I quote, "pipework is to small and painted" this was 15mm pipework and all tests were fine.

You gets what you pay for matz and you are getting the valve added FOC (even though it should be there anyway) so all is good and the price you paid is fair.

Jon
great answer Jon , a lot more diplomatic than I would be , yes it is required but does any RGI pull out the oven , and turn off the isolation valve just to isolate it ? if it needs removing yes, but lets be honest , why would you ever need to isolate using the valve unless you were fitting a replacement hob , it is not a safety valve

Not really @matz The charge of £140 Inc VAT and materials for just an hour is reasonable.
that sounds like a subject for another thread ;) are there really many heating firms charging their guys out at that generally????? or are you saying £140hr etc is a reasonable hourly rate for fitting hobs? the latter surely?? thks for the info re. retailers fitters btw....

that sounds like a subject for another thread ;) are there really many heating firms charging their guys out at that generally????? or are you saying £140hr etc is a reasonable hourly rate for fitting hobs? the latter surely?? thks for the info re. retailers fitters btw....
Well have a think where that £140 per hour goes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back