should gas hob have isolation valve?

, yes it is required but does any RGI pull out the oven

Do I bugger @ianmcd why risk damaging a customers appliance, wiring could be crap etc etc but... It is required and the guy paid a good price for the job to be done right. I could except the valve missing on a £70 job but paying the right price you want the job done right regardless.

Sounds to me like the price was never even asked for as the OP has used the before and expected a good job regardless of costs. He hasn't had that but they are now returning to fit at their cost so a bonus and a good outcome for this post.

Hopefully the OP will come back to us after it has been done and let us know how it went and the result.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Well have a think where that £140 per hour goes
I can work out the economics on that as well as anyone!

So just to be clear (as Aquas post was slightly ambiguous ie was the £140hr for only hob fitting or was it for work generally)

£140 is a reasonable charge per hr for undertaking work in a domestic customers home?

that sounds like a subject for another thread ;) are there really many heating firms charging their guys out at that generally????? or are you saying £140hr etc is a reasonable hourly rate for fitting hobs? the latter surely?? thks for the info re. retailers fitters btw....

When I mentioned the fair price before you need to think deeper! Are you sure you are self employed in a trade?

Do you not have to finance your:

20% VAT
Van
Fuel
Tools
Van insurance
PLI insurance
Accountants
Calibrations
Yearly membership
Tax
NI
Plus many more that I can't be arsed to list

Jon

Sponsored Links
I can work out the economics on that as well as anyone!

So just to be clear (as Aquas post was slightly ambiguous ie was the £140hr for only hob fitting or was it for work generally)

£140 is a reasonable charge per hr for undertaking work in a domestic customers home?

No you are miss quoting me

£140 in using parts and labour and VAT would be reasonable it wasn't an hourly charge it was a fitting charge and I would allow an hour to do. Take 20% of that then take materials off that then take all my expenses from that.

I don't charge £140 an hour at all please read it properly. Maybe this is why you are having issues as your comprehension is a bit lacking. Tell you what, stick your missus on! She seems to be a lot more proactive and actually listens!

FFS you try and help these people out!?

Jon

so it is £140 ph generally then....

an employee who works for a gas fitting company doing work in domestic homes should be charged out at £140.00ph by his boss?

looks like Charlie Mullins is a bit on the cheap side at £120.00ph;)

My £70.00 per hour is starting to look good value now:)

I bloody told my son to go into CH but he hasnt listened - he's studying computer game design! seriously I did tell him 6 mths ago...lol

ah right sorry just seen your last post, its not £140ph generally....

When I mentioned the fair price before you need to think deeper! Are you sure you are self employed in a trade?

Do you not have to finance your:

20% VAT
Van
Fuel
Tools
Van insurance
PLI insurance
Accountants
Calibrations
Yearly membership
Tax
NI
Plus many more that I can't be arsed to list

Jon
You missed two essential cost elements, travelling time, being stuck in traffic not earning anything, polluting the atmosphere, soon you would be picking up fines for allowing your engine to run longer than a minute when waiting in traffic jams, and of course the parking charges or fines and soon if you are running a diesel van you will need to get rid of it, so indeed you need to up your prices! However, this would apply across all the trades.

Last edited:
Slight problem is that most iso valves that would be used on a hob are compression.

Questionable if fitting behind a screwed in oven is very accessible.
The isolation valve is at the appliance.

There's no question about it. It's a service valve. Removing an oven is not a problem. It counts as accessible.

Either that or put the valve in the cupboard or behind an adjacent draw.

Christ alive its a fecking hob. How hard can it be?

love it 4 pages of gas guys trying to justify a cost that if an other trade tried to charge them in their own homes they would be having kittens .And if anyone does it cheaper they must be wrong . Perhaps those guys dont fanny about taking hours over simple jobs to justify the cost and just get on to the next job and earn the same if not more ...Too many people with no work think they can string a job out to fill their day at customers expense .
45 min job and less than a tenner in mats including the valve

Almost as amusing as PAYEE chaps second guessing charges when they don't have to run a business and can blag sick pay after lopping digits off playing silly buggers :p.

:D:D.
Dan i still have my company registered and still declare work done , and dont forget the compo as well for being a silly bugger ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back