should gas hob have isolation valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
apart from the main gas shut off should a gas hob have its own isolation valve?

We've had a new gas hob connected up by a gas safe guy and there is no isolation valve but there was a valve to the original hob in the pipework feeding it.

I just let him get on with the job and have now noticed no valve - is this normal?

PS The new connection is 15mm rigid copper pipe and compression fittings.

Sponsored Links
yes you're right, my missus suggested check with gas safe which I've now done and yes the hob should have means of isolation so we have a firm here who have charged me £140 to connect two 5" lengths of 15mm copper tube to 3 compression fittings with assoc gas test checks yet they havnt provided an isolation valve....hmmm is this what I should expect from a gas safe reg firm?!

Sponsored Links
is that NO to an isolation valve or NO to whether I should expect this from a gas safe firm:)

could have done the pipework on this in 20mins myself. I cant do gas tests or test for leaks apart from lighting a match nor am I allowed to do any of the work anyway so I do the proper thing and get proper people and pay through the nose for it only to find they've broken their own rules. What are consumers supposed to do :confused: not surprising they want to DIY all the time....This is a well established firm with vans on the road vat reg etc, I can only think the engineer was half asleep on the day...... he's a nice guy and now I've got to drop him in it.......

think the £140 hurts you more than not having an isolation valve fitted . why don't you try and ring them up and ask them to fit one ;)

Agas, they came out to service the boiler 3 mths ago when I had the kitchen in pieces and I asked them to fit the new hob when the room was done so they cut off the existing tap and put an end cap over the pipe coming from the wall into the base unit ready for when the hob was ready to fit ie last week. Connected up the new hob charged me £140 for 2 hrs with no mention of a isolation valve requirement. I didnt think to query it I just trusted them to do whats required. When I got the bill, I kept looking at what they had done wondering why its so much then realised no valve, then made further enquiries inc this thread and Gas Safe. You are right - if I hadnt been charged £140 I wouldnt have given it a thought (until the hob went wrong and the service agent visited!) So now not only do i think I've been charged too much, it hasnt been done properly. How much should I be paying over the £140 to have a valve fitted or should it have been included?

Connected up the new hob charged me £140 for 2 hrs with no mention of a isolation valve requirement. I didnt think to query it I just trusted them to do whats required. When I got the bill, I kept looking at what they had done wondering why its so much then realised no valve
£140 for 2 hours work??..so if we break that down you were charged £70 including the materials supplied.
I'd hazard a guess @ £30 for materials?..so that'll be £55 an hour for labour , pretty cheap wouldn't you say?
To what advantage would it be to you that an isolation valve is fitted??
Most isolation valves I see fitted are either hidden behind the back panel or cause issues when fitting any built in oven.

if an isolation valve isnt needed then so be it. I asked gas safe if it had to be fitted and they said yes, same question on here , same answer. So do I now not need one after all? If so thats fine though I can see the advantage of having one ie isolate the hob without isolating the whole house....

An isolation valve should be fitted.

But strangely perhaps it dfoes not have to be accessible.

That is because it is required to assist with servicing the hob.

And to think that I often connect them for half of that!

But two hours sounds a long time.

Was it solely connecting the hob?

Or did it include cutting out the work surface and sealing and fixing it down?

is that should as its very advisable or should as in regulatory?

The materials add up to hardly a tenner not £30. two 4" pieces of 15mm copper pipe and 3 compression right angles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back