Should I be worried? "Sockitz" plastic guards.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Work began on new kitchen today. This is how the electricians removed some of the sockitz I'd fitted. DOH!

PXL_20230427_132233203.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi Solo,

Are they backboxes for plasterboard? If so, they are not the type used in the UK. There are no screw terminals and also no back to them.

Regards,
Huggybear.

Edit: Just seen what they are. I personally think it's a waste of time and money buying them.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Ask them to replace them if you’ve paid for them, as they’ve caused damage.

@huggybear it appears it’s these, I thought op had misspelled sockets.

Sponsored Links
This is how the electricians removed some of the sockitz I'd fitted
Looks like it's along the lines of step 5 of the "how to" Sockitz themselves published?

1682606255052.png

But hey, it's new technology; don't expect the average "I've always skinned wires with my teeth" sparky to take the slightest interest in whether or not it's a good idea/comes apart/etc - it's getting in the way of them getting their price work done so it's out with the angle grinder.

If you want them to be careful and possibly also think twice, cut once, see if they do a day rate!

Work began on new kitchen today. This is how the electricians removed some of the sockitz I'd fitted. DOH!

View attachment 302005
I don't know what rubbish those are, but I suspect I would have done exactly the same - and then fitted some proper ones.

EDIT. Now I see what they are - guards for plastering, tiling, painting.

Not bad idea, though not sure what would happen with plasters and tilers if they don't know what they are for.

I now understand why you were annoyed when they were destroyed :(.

Last edited:
I saw these on DD and at the time couldn't understand what they were supposed to be. Now I've seen the guide I'm even more confused, for a start 99% will need to be chopped about to provide cable access, unless I'm completely missing to point.

As I see it it will provide a crap plaster finish, a crap paint finish and chipped plaster when removed.

I think I'm with sparkwright.

If anyone hasn't seen the installation video, there shouldn't need to be any cutting for cable access, and I can see how it would be useful for plastering/painting up to.

The OP's are of the reusable type! :oops:

I remove the accessory, use wagos, then fit short lengths of the widest plastic tophat style capping, with each end trapped behind the lugs.

Then the plasterer can just go right over the box and decorating is a doddle. They work a treat.

Were they intended to let the plasterer or tiler work round them?

Aye, they're the reusable type. Fitted them when I removed all the tiles. Thought I'd be doing the plasterer a favour. Seems like I wasted my time. Not to worry. Everybody has a different way of doing things. As said above, maybe it's a solution looking for a problem.

My idea of hell.

An accessory plastered in and painted over.

There's nothing nicer than removing one of these, followed by a bit of deft polyfilla-ing, paint and a fresh unmolested accessory screwed over the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back