Should I earth my wooden wall lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've got a couple of wooden wall lights... I've just had them off the wall and I see that they are not earthed.

There is an earth on the lights. And there is an earth on the mains feed. So I'm presuming that it would be a good idea to connect them. But at the same time I'm wondering why they weren't connected before.

So in case I'm missing anything, I thought I'd best check with you before guys...

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If there is an earth terminal or earth wire on the light then it must be earthed.

If it is not earted then it was because of someone's negligence.

I doubt that the light is wooden.

Ok, thanks.

The bulb holder is metal. The rest is definitely wood.... If there's no possible harm in earthing - or if indeed it should be earthed - then earthed it shall be!

Sorry, when I said bulb holder I meant the actual but the bayonet fitting locks into. From what I can tell, the bit surrounding that is plastic...

Sponsored Links
But you said there is an earth on the lights. I thought you meant an attached wire or a screw terminal.

If it is just a pendant bulb holder fixed to wood there is probably nowhere to attach an earth wire and no metal to touch.

Ok, here we be:

IMG_4224.JPG
IMG_4226.JPG
IMG_4225.JPG

Well, it looks like someone has connected that 'earth' wire to the bracket (which is just being used as a washer) because they thought they should.
I doubt it is connected by anything metal to the lampholder.

Either way, you may as well connect the green/yellow to the supply green/yellow.
It won't do any harm.

The hole in the bottom of the wooden cannot readily be reached, but it would be probably be wise to earth it as advised because a child - for example - could poke a piece of wire up it and make contact with the metal parts under conditions where they have become faulty?

Blup

Thats quite a series of events, a very dextrous child finds a length of stiff wire and manages to poke it through a small hole during fault conditions

The hole in the bottom of the wooden cannot readily be reached, but it would be probably be wise to earth it as advised because a child - for example - could poke a piece of wire up it and make contact with the metal parts under conditions where they have become faulty?
If they were that adventurous and determined to do themselves harm, rather than wait (probably for a few lifetimes!) until the "metal parts became live because of a fault", they would probably be better advised to remove the bulb/lamp and plug their fingers into the holder (all that, of course, assuming that it was switched on) :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back