Should I fit TRV's?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, wonder if you can help with a question. Recently had some problems with a ferelli combi boiler in that the room stat is not controlling the CH, heating remains on depending on what the stat is set at. Had someone come and have a look and he diagnosed the problem as a fault with the main board on the bolier and was looking at about £200 to repair. He suggested that this was not cost effiecient and a way around would be to fit TRV's to the rads, except the bathroom to allow flw back to the bolier.Basically I want to know if this would be ok, to have the TRV's control the boiler without a room stat. Hope this explains ok, any advice wellcome.

Sponsored Links
Poppy cock!

to get what is known as boiler interlock you will need a roomstat, TRV's do not directly turn the boiler off at a set temp, a room stat does. For most economcal use of heat put TRV's on rads and a roomstat.

(unless it is a boiler that senses increased resistance from closed TRV's then shuts its self down)

Though not having a roomstat wont damage boiler it is advisable to fit one and new instalations\boilers etc must have a roomstat to comply with building regulations.

personally id rather a fully working room stat than TRV's. preferably both.

is there a reason its not functining? poorly sited, not wired in?

if it needs moving, ideally in the room you want the warmest (lounge) then fit a digi stat

rob884 said:
if it needs moving, ideally in the room you want the warmest (lounge) then fit a digi stat

a room stat in coldest room best IMHO as if in lounge it will switch the boiler off cutting heat to colder rooms like a kitchen or hall way etc.

Sponsored Links
bster said:
rob884 said:

a room stat in coldest room best IMHO as if in lounge it will switch the boiler off cutting heat to colder rooms like a kitchen or hall way etc.

i didnt say the warmest, i said where you want it the warmest, i prob spend about 5 mins a day in my hallway why would i want that room determining the heat for where i actually spend my time.

obviously if your lounge is a shoebox fitted with a giant D.C then no, but if the rads are sized correctly for each room..

fit it where you want the heat and cut down all other rads via TRV's

Rob

so you would install stat in a living room (if there is no seconadry heat source) as you want this room the warmest - yes?

explain the reasoning behind this please as i genuinely like to understand new concepts etc (remember i'm an apprentice and i am open to everything in my mission to learn).

BTW: whats a D.C

EDIT: - stab in the dark here - DC = double convector?

you need to think of at as a thermostat rather than just a switch.

i want my lounge 22 deg say, but my hallway and bedrooms 17 deg.

fair enough if i put it in the coldest place the lounge should heat up quicker than the other rooms but that doesnt give me 22 deg in my lounge it just makes it hot compared to the hallway!

its easier to adjust a room stat to my needs than the TRV

you also need to realise that lots of rooms stats intalled in hallways dont even have rads or very undersized rads because the heat isnt that important so they just get used as switches the user never really knows what the actual temp will be where they want it

hope ive explained ok

Thanks for the replys. Basically the room stat was tested and the problem's not there, it's something within the boiler. The guys guess was the main board. The boliers about 12 years old now and he quoted me a price of £800 for a new bolier fitted. He did the one a few doors down and his work looks good. I didn't think that TRV's would do the job on their own, in that the bolier would still be overworking. Maybe I'll get a second opinion.

bushranger said:
The boliers about 12 years old now and he quoted me a price of £800 for a new bolier fitted.

if he's corgi then thats a great price, make sure the system gets a good flush aswell

£800 fitted is too cheap for a proper job. By law he must fit TRV in the bedrooms & by the manufactuers instructions he must flush the system.What make of boiler was it,

Hi, I too was thinking 800 was too cheap. He said he would fit a potterton, didn't give a model. Also, you're right the thing that didn't include is the TRV's that would be more. I've seen work he's done on a house a few doors down and all looks very good, it's been installed for a year now. And yes he is Corgi.

I have a brochure for a Baxi 133HE plus and it states, "part L compliance via flow switch for fully TRV'd systems, which means no room stat or bypass required".

Views please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back