should I PVA walls for dot&dab? / £300 to plaster kitche

P.S. -> i would like to especially thank the members who helped me with some of that
I take it that doesn’t include those that pointed out the very dangerous & potentially illegal electrical install you’ve got there then ;) ; but I suppose if you didn’t do it, it makes it OK to just leave it as is & cover it all up again :rolleyes:

no i dont think its OK but when you do NOT have the money to pay for a sparkie what do you do? and i mean we do NOT have any money so we cant get one in - tell it to the missus mate - its her house and she (nor I) has got the money to pay a sparkie to come in and tell us the whole house needs a re-wire...
thought i explained that already?

the last sparkie we rang up to give us a price for the alarm unit just came in and ripped the front off and done the work and charged us £100 - when we just wanted a price...

ive told her everything ive been told - what more can I do if she cant afford it?

I fixed it up as i think it was you told me about the cabling not allowed to be diaganol, i removed the cooker cable out of the double socket and is now on a cooker switch down to cooker wire plate - the chased in junction box I removed, and removed the cardboard and put in steel trunking over ALL of the wiring - so now you just have wiring up/down/left or right of the sockets all fixed in with steel trunking - all sockets on a ring main instead of wires running all over and cooker feeding one double socket - so i havent just "LEAVE IT AS IT IS" and cover it over

so please, no replys like that as if to imply im just 'ignorant' when im not

fair enough just so you know i always 2 coat in my mind 1 coat is half a job and it doesnt take me any longer really still be able to skim that room in a day, but you have gone the down the route that makes you happy so good luck and hope everything goes to plan

Ive heard someone else mention double-coating but ive laboured for 3 plasterers in the past and ive ever seen the finish plaster laid on twice before? - maybe on an uneven dodgy surface but not seen it done, I will be watching this plasterer and if this one no.4 ive seen plaster doesnt do it then what does that say? - all 4 of these plasterers are doing it wrong?

Sponsored Links
It sounds to me like you're on a race to the bottom.

Get Billy Euro in - he's probably not a plasterer - but he's cheap as chips - and that's all you seem to care about. :rolleyes:

so because you have seen 3 "plasterers" only one coating you suddenly think you know more than someone that does this job every day and has done for his entire working life.
guess what every plasterer ive worked with applys 2 coats BECAUSE ITS A PROPER JOB and ill bet you ive worked with more plasterers than you have watched sooooo (quote) "what does that say".
you asked for advice we gave it you decided to go your own way which i wished you luck with and you have the front to come on here and tell me basically i dnt know what im talking about.
good luck with your one coat and obvious vast knowledge.
JRP

Sponsored Links
Part of a new kitchen is to sort out electrical and plumbing, it really annoys me when people cant afford a sparky, but will splash the cash on expensive tiles and kitchen units. It's like deciding to have a new carpet, removing the old one, seeing the old floorboards are full of woodworm and rotten and slapping a new carpet down ontop of it.

NO sparky would have made you rewire the whole house, there is no need. The kitchen wiring could have been disconnected if it wasn't servicable and new circuits run. Why would you want to leave it in if it is didgy. Priority wise wouldn't it be in everyones interest if the electrical installation was safe and servicable rather than having a fancy new kitchen. Now someone will have to rip the kitchen out to sort it properly in the future :rolleyes:

so because you have seen 3 "plasterers" only one coating you suddenly think you know more than someone that does this job every day and has done for his entire working life.
guess what every plasterer ive worked with applys 2 coats BECAUSE ITS A PROPER JOB and ill bet you ive worked with more plasterers than you have watched sooooo (quote) "what does that say".
you asked for advice we gave it you decided to go your own way which i wished you luck with and you have the front to come on here and tell me basically i dnt know what im talking about.
good luck with your one coat and obvious vast knowledge.
JRP

well said JR and also to say that the second coat is part of the levelling and smoothing process and essential for getting a decent finish on anything but a small area.

My 2p worth...

I've been plastering for about 3years part time (have a full time job) and apart from a attending a course I've prety much learnt how to plaster myself... I've done loads of rooms, ceilings... boarding...bonding... patching in my house, family members houses and paying customers, and one thing that I ALWAYS do it apply 2 coats of skim and not because the walls are bad just because I believe that its the correct way to plaster and to end up with a better quality of finish. I take pride in my work and I only ever walk away from a job if I'd be happy with the finish in my own home.

I ALWAYS apply 2 coats of skim and not because the walls are bad just because I believe that its the correct way to plaster and to end up with a better quality of finish. I take pride in my work and I only ever walk away from a job if I'd be happy with the finish in my own home.

You'll never go wrong doing the job that way. ;)

I ALWAYS apply 2 coats of skim and not because the walls are bad just because I believe that its the correct way to plaster and to end up with a better quality of finish. I take pride in my work and I only ever walk away from a job if I'd be happy with the finish in my own home.

You'll never go wrong doing the job that way. ;)

Agreed!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back