Should i remove worktop skirting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to tile a kitchen splashback. Currently the wall is painted with emulsion. The laminate worktop has some skirting at the wall, should I remove this before I tile? If so how to get a good waterproof seal where tile meets worktop? Thanks

Attachments

• C7753053-39A9-4549-A076-EE831499ED8D.jpeg
    C7753053-39A9-4549-A076-EE831499ED8D.jpeg
    298.9 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
How high do you intend your splashback to go?
On the face of it, I would leave the "skirting" in position & tile off it. You could seal between the tile and the "skirting" with grout matching color silicone.

How high do you intend your splashback to go?
On the face of it, I would leave the "skirting" in position & tile off it. You could seal between the tile and the "skirting" with grout matching color silicone.
Up to the cupboard units, higher above the hob and sink. I was thinking it would look neater if I removed the skirting but not sure if that would cause problems

If you remove the upstand (the proper name for the "skirting"), you may find gaps between the back of the worktop and the wall of up to 15mm - upstands are sometimes used to disguise out of square or bowed walls. It might be worth checking if the upstands are bowed, if there are any areas where the gap at the top of the upstsnd has required a wide silicone bead to cover it and if the width of the visible worktop (measured front to front of upstand) is consistent - these are all potential indicators of a worktop which might have big gaps at the back

Sponsored Links
If you remove the upstand (the proper name for the "skirting"), you may find gaps between the back of the worktop and the wall of up to 15mm - upstands are sometimes used to disguise out of square or bowed walls. It might be worth checking if the upstands are bowed, if there are any areas where the gap at the top of the upstsnd has required a wide silicone bead to cover it and if the width of the visible worktop (measured front to front of upstand) is consistent - these are all potential indicators of a worktop which might have big gaps at the back
The upstand looks straight with no wide bits of silicon. The walls were dot and dabbed last year and I think they're straight. Not sure if the counter top was cut straight though! Or maybe they're a standard width?

Worktops are standard widths, e.g 600, 615, 625, etc. Upstands are sometimes used to cover a multitude of sins

Worktops are standard widths, e.g 600, 615, 625, etc. Upstands are sometimes used to cover a multitude of sins
If there is a minimal gap between wall and countertop, is it feasible to tile down to the counter top with a decent seal at the edge? I don’t want the chipboard to blow up

You can tile down to work top, there are ways to avoid gaps . I prefer large format tiles for kitchens , they also tend to be thicker .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back