Should I repair or replace my slate roof

This forum explains the perfect academic answer but fails to realise most trandesmen even those professional and reassuringly expensive are lazy, don’t keep up with changes or just make a mess

Sponsored Links
This forum explains the perfect academic answer but fails to realise most trandesmen even those professional and reassuringly expensive are lazy, don’t keep up with changes or just make a mess
I'm very sorry to see your roof issued.

I do disagree though with your assessment of tradesmen, I've employed and worked with many tradesmen over the years and I honestly think most are very professional.

The problem is that great tradesmen don't advertise so householders struggle to find them.

I think roofing is terribly prone to attract people lacking the skill but well intentioned, or just cowboys....because the work seems quite easy and it's out of view of the customer.

There's some great advice in this thread but do take note of datarebel, he is a pro roofer and knows his stuff

I don't think it a matter of lazy, changes or anything else - rather it's a basic error in layout, that even a DIY'er would be unlikely to make, or would correct immediately they noticed it was quite simply wrong. I think it's fairly obvious the roofer, whilst he might have replaced an odd tile before, had never, ever laid out a roof from scratch.

trandesmen even those professional and reassuringly expensive are lazy
thats not nice... advice has been shared with you for free.. good sound advice. you poo hooed it
no wonder you have ended up in the s hite and paying way over the odds for the privilege

of course feel free to make a small donation to either RNLI or www.hiowaa.org if you have any money left

Sponsored Links
thats not nice... advice has been shared with you for free.. good sound advice. you poo hooed it
no wonder you have ended up in the s hite and paying way over the odds for the privilege

I have a guy I sometimes call out for generally minor repairs, because he's local, cheap, quick, reliable, experienced, and uses a roof ladder for his quick repairs. I can just imagine, what would happen to those tiles, as he rolled his roof ladder up them, with each slate lifting in turn.

The job needs to be done properly, if it is to last.

The OP seems to be no shrinking violet and perfectly capable of arguing a case, even if it's in defence of the shoddy work. He should take away the technical advice from this thread and similarly argue with his "tradesman" to secure some remedial work.

Seems like the OP employed henchmen, not tradesmen. Characters he's known for years.

And yet, even when the dodgy roof was pointed out on page one, here we are three pages later reading about the blame being shifted.

Entertaining though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back