Should I repair or replace my slate roof

You only started this thread at the weekend and between then and today you managed to find someone who was available to start the work immediately?

Sponsored Links
You only started this thread at the weekend and between then and today you managed to find someone who was available to start the work immediately?
Yes I did. I used a team who I have known for years. They have done loads of work in the past and to a good standard.

It’s my first time doing a roof and I don’t want to touch it for 30 years

Does it need redoing or is it acceptable

The previous slate roof was also lapped like this apparently so I don’t know if I’m being awkward or this is going to fly off with wind

Well I have never done a slate roof where the slates are not on the batten, I don't know the consequences. Should have used slate and a half on the verge.
Has he installed soakers on the abutment side, normally ally or code 3 lead.did he mentioned ventilation at eaves or high level or insulation to roof space?.
Was there any references to building regs on your quote?

Sponsored Links
Thank you

1) So on the verge there are two tiles not one and a half. I don’t think that’s terrible?

2) soakers were used on every tile against the wall

3) there was no building regs as this is like for like replacement.

They worked real hard and I don’t want to be a trouble maker. They started at 7 and haven’t stopped and will be back tomorrow for a full day so it seems foolish they did not put it on the batten

Do you think they will blow up in strong gusty winds in London and therefore need redoing ?

Have these boys done roofing before? I'm not a roofer, however I'm pretty certain the slates are supposed to be secured with slate hooks to avoid issues lifting with wind and/or correctly nailed. And I've never seen the technique of aligning the top of the slates off the batten, although others on here will advise if that's acceptable.

For some reason I'm still feeling as though this thread might be an early April fools ...

Last edited:
It’s not a windup. I come to this forum to ask other opinions from people who have had roofs

All tiles are nailed with 30 mm copper nails and there is some lift in the tiles when I lift them by hand

The question is whether the tiles will lift with wind.

Apart from that tile on batten question the rest of the roof is good with 60mm headlap double lapped and soakaways and soon flashing

It’s not a windup. I come to this forum to ask other opinions from people who have had roofs
All tiles are nailed with 30 mm copper nails and there is some lift in the tiles when I lift them by hand
The question is whether the tiles will lift with wind.
Apart from that tile on batten question the rest of the roof is good with 60mm headlap double lapped and soakaways and soon flashing
Judging by your video, I'd say it's possible if not probable. It didn't seem to be taking you much effort to lift them, so imagine the force of high winds. Which is why I'd have thought clips would have been a good idea.

Judging by your video, I'd say it's possible if not probable. It didn't seem to be taking you much effort to lift them, so imagine the force of high winds. Which is why I'd have thought clips would have been a good idea.
Thank you - What can be done now to make it better? Apart from the roof coming off and being relaid....

Are some copper rivets a good idea at this stage in between the tile laps?

1703703562392.png

Last edited:
Copper disc are for imitation slate which are pre holed.
Your roof has been done wrong

Last edited:
Remove all and regauge battens
My concern also is how they have set out the eave course

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back