Should my boiler be earthed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, i have recently had lots of problems with my backboiler, although the problems appear to be solved now, i have a query. The boiler is a potterton house warmer with a heating system. The control unit earth isnt connected to anything, its just "floating" behind the programmer, the same applies for the the bolier & mains earth to the programmer too. Now, in no electrician, but im sure that isnt correct. What is the best way to earth these?

Sponsored Links
The boiler and programmer should be connected to the circuit protective conductor (earth wire) of the circuit which supplies them. How is the supply from the FCU connected to the boiler etc, 3 core flex?

they should all be connected to the earth wire of the circuit that supplies the controls. Probably this comes off the downstairs socket circuit, preferably through a Switched Fused Connection unit with a 3A or 5A fuse in it. You can get 4mm green-and-yellow insulated wire for this at any electrical or plumbing counter, it is also used for supplementary bonding in bathrooms.

there is a possibility that someone disconnected it to hide an electrical fault.

Additionally, the incoming water main and gas main should be main-bonded where they enter the house, usually with 10mm G&Y. there is more info available on this in our Wiki.

Hi guys, i have recently had lots of problems with my backboiler, although the problems appear to be solved now, i have a query.
Was this work done by a registered person under Part P?
The boiler is a potterton house warmer with a heating system. The control unit earth isnt connected to anything, its just "floating" behind the programmer,
Although this at first seems wrong maybe it does not require an earth is there a
ClassII.jpg
sign on the programmer is so then OK not to be connected to earth but I would no have left it loose it should be so it can't touch anything live.
the same applies for the the bolier & mains earth to the programmer too. Now, in no electrician, but im sure that isnt correct. What is the best way to earth these?
I would not think the boiler will be double insulated but is this earth to boiler or from boiler? It is very likely there is a fault here which needs correcting but I am careful not to say it is defiantly wrong. So don't shout at guy who did the work too much in case there is after all some reasonable explanation.

Sponsored Links
Probably this comes off the downstairs socket circuit, preferably through a Switched Fused Connection unit with a 3A or 5A fuse in it.

Gas regs state 3 amp fuse must be used on domestic boilers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back