Shower and Bathroom Light problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! My girlfriend and I have recently had a new (to us) shower installed in our bathroom - the power unit is up in the loft, plugged into a socket that is connected to the upstairs lighting loop: it would power up (lights would temporarily flash and a tiny spurt of water) whenever the bathroom light was switched on.

We fitted a new bathroom light on Saturday and, like an idiot, I didn't pay 100% attention to where all the wires were going. It took several attempts to get the light to work and it now does - only the shower doesn't work at all.

The wires available for connection are: 2 live (brown), 2 neutral (blue), 2 earth (yellow/green etc). I presently have both sets of live/neutral wires entering the light fitting and the earths connected to one another. Whilst this seems fine for the light, the shower doesn't want to play. There are no spare wires available for connection, other than the red and black ones that I don't want to touch as they were never part of the original circuit.

Should I just have one set of wires for the light and connect the remaining blue/brown ones to one another? The fuse for the shower power unit should be a red 3A or brown 13A - difference? Presently a red 3A is in place...am hoping a change of fuse is all that is required.

Any suggestions gratefully received!!

:D

Sponsored Links
Your description is a bit vague (where exactly are those red and black wires?) but here's two tests for you to try.

1) Does the shower work if the light is on?

2) Does anything at all work when plugged into that socket? (Light on or off.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back