Shower conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it OK to run the electric supply cable for a shower (10mm) inside chromed pipe? It would look much better than the white plastic trunking and would match the water pipe. I was going to use 22mm chromed tubing usually used for wardrobe rails. What would be the best way of protecting the cable coming out the top from chaffing - some kind of grommet i suppose - any advice?

Sponsored Links
You could use grommet strip, it would clip round the top of the tube. You should also ensure the tube is earthed along with all the rest of the metalwork

Do I need to earth connect the pipe to all the other metal work or do i just eath it using the the shower earth? And what's grommet strip (obviously a strip of grommet :confused: )

It would be wise to file internal and external chamfers on each end of the tubing.
I don't know the situation today, but years ago( I won't say how many) you used brass ferrels with rounded end screwed to the open end of steel conduit for the same purpose.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
regarding the earth connection as alexnic said it must be earthed, this unfortunatly (in your case) means earth bonding, which means that you can not use the shower earth, and to connect to your stainless steel "conduit" you would have to use an earth bonding connection (Ugly looking thing)

However as a thought, there is nothing in the regs that says where you have to connect the earth, so if your "conduit" went into the loft, you can connect the earth to it up there (out of sight) but it would have to be one continious pipe

for more info regarding bonding see this

OK lets make sure I'm getting this right. In the bathroom the hot is from the tank and the cold is direct from the mains rather than the header tank. I have replaced all the pipes with plastic so therefore have bonded from the copper b4 the plastic to the copper after the plastic where it carries on to serve another room.
Can I therefore bond the stainless steel to the rising main in the loft? Or would I be better off running 6mm earth from the loft to the CU earth terminal.
Do I also need to cross bond the stainless steel water supply pipe to the shower on the basis that I am t'ing of the main using plastic fittings and pipe?
Thanks for your help

technicaly i would say no.

all you have done is to connect from one side of a copper pipe to another (by passing the plastic, which is fine) by bonding your new "conduit" to the water main that would be relying on the pipes for an earth connection, and as you have a shower cable i would say the pipes will give first so i would suggest that you do run a 6mm cable to your main incoming earth for your new "conduit.

it would be a good idea to cross bond to this new cable as it is a 6mm cable and is a better option.

Thanks Breezer.

I will run a new 6mm earth. Since I have such a mix of copper and plastic it would probably be best whilst I have the opportunity.

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back