shower fan light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are these any good? Or should I stick to a seperate fan?

Trouble is, external wall is engineers bricks (excrutiatingly hard and time consuming to drill!) and my house has no soffits to vent a ceiling mounted extrator fan.

Is there another way of venting through the ceiling/loft/roof?

Sponsored Links
through the tiles, but you're into flashing kits and condensation traps and such then..

if you can't drill through the brick, take it out.. drill out the mortar and then cement round the pipe..

Yeah - did cross my mind to remove a brick or two...

Thanks Coljack.

you'd have to take 4 out maybe.. 3 at least..
and then cut 1 in half and put the halves back in to make a square hole..

Sponsored Links
I don't see how having a fan and light built into one unit in any way affects the difficulty of venting the fan....

I don't see how having a fan and light built into one unit in any way affects the difficulty of venting the fan....
shower light/fans go into the ceiling and are vented out through th soffits etc, regular extractor ( ie not in the shower area, just in the bathroom in general ) can go through a wall..

It's not out of context at all - it was to point out to you that he has difficulty in venting a ceiling mounted fan because he cannot vent through a soffit.

So I repeat - I don't see how having a fan and light built into one unit in any way affects the difficulty of venting the fan....

it doesn't, but as I pointed out, he's asking if a light /fan is any good and what options he has to vent one, or if that's not a viable option it's going to be hard to cut through for a regular one on the wall elsewhere in the bathroom..

The way I see it he has a choice of:
  1. Wall mounted fan - difficulty cutting a hole in the wall
  2. Ceiling mounted fan - difficulty venting via the roof space because of no soffits
  3. Fan/light combination - difficulty venting via the roof space because of no soffits
I don't see how having a fan and light built into one unit in any way affects the difficulty of venting the fan.

And
Are these any good? Or should I stick to a seperate fan?

Trouble is, external wall is engineers bricks (excrutiatingly hard and time consuming to drill!) and my house has no soffits to vent a ceiling mounted extrator fan.

Is there another way of venting through the ceiling/loft/roof?
is asking if fan & light units are any good. Why be concerned about that unless you were considering one as an alternative to a separate fan and light? Whether they are better, worse, or the same does not make any difference to the venting of them.

it doesn't, but as I pointed out, he's asking if a light /fan is any good and what options he has to vent one, or if that's not a viable option it's going to be hard to cut through for a regular one on the wall elsewhere in the bathroom..

Exactly the point I was making...

Thanks for your comments.

I see ban's on one again.

I personally wouldnt buy a fan/light combo. They usually have a halogen lamp in them. This means they provide poor light, and if they provide poor light, what else do they do poorly? ;)

Buy a seperate inline fan, put it in the loft with ductwork to the bathroom and out of the tiles in the roof.

Nothing wrong with fan/light combinations, but get the larger size ones (5 inches or more) so that there is enough space around the lamp for a decent airflow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back