Shower intermittent tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i have a creda 9.5 Kw shower which some time trips and some times does not it is on 10mm2 cable with a DP ceiling switch and a 45a mcb
any suggestions please.

Sponsored Links
Well if it only trips when the showers actually running then I would suspect the shower is the culprit.

Is there a 30mA RCD protecting the circuit?

Sponsored Links
no just the mcb it is on an old wylex rewireable fuse CU

In which case for the sake of about £7 you might as well try replacing the MCB first before calling out an electrician.

Just to be clear - it does only do this when the shower's operating, not at any other time?

yes only when the shower is running but not all the time could go days with out tripping and then trip 2-3 times.

What is the capacity of the Main switch

is it 60A or 100A?

60A main switch wylex boards are not rated for 45A MCBs!

60A main switch wylex boards are not rated for 45A MCBs!
I wish I had kept it for evidence (for myself), but I could swear my old 8 way Wylex standard rewireable had a 100A main switch. It also had a 45A MCB fitted with no problems. Wooden back. It only had one block of fuseways.

Though I may be dreaming. And 10mm² cable was a barsteward to get into the terminal holes :LOL:

Knowing what I know now, and having seen the photos of burned up Wylex standard's I wouldnt fit a big shower on one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back