Shower on a stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone I'm soon gonna start ripping out my bathroom and intend to move the bath down to the opposite wall which is a stud wall, this wall is on the landing side of the bathroom. I want to fit a shower bar using a concealed fixing bracket, will I need to insulate the stud to cut down noise from the pipes when the shower is running?[/b]

Sponsored Links
Why would there be noise? Bar showers are effectively mixer taps. No noise. I have one. Silent. More noise from the boiler. All you need to do is support the pipes adequately and make a frame / board for the mounting plate to fix to.

I was just to keep the noise of water flowing through the pipes. I've only got 3" stud work so hoping the bracket will fit in ok. Not got the plasterboard off yet.

Sponsored Links
Because of the depth of the mixer relative to the depth of your stud (3"), this may mean you having to fix a slim support noggin between studs. If there happens to be an upright in the way then this may have to be trimmed in order to accommodate the mixer backing.

This will leave no room behind the mixer for insulation. You can however fit sound deadening material elsewhere in the stud.

Also, fix aquaboard to the shower face of the studs as this will not only be ideal for tiling upon but be denser and more sound-resisting than plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back