shower pump would not start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed my new bathroom, but the shower pump wouldn't start. My plumber thought that it is the pump (it was existing with my previous set up ), so I got salamander RSP75. It still wouldn't start. Then he found out that a bit of bleeding from the outlet of the pump makes it kick in. At the beginning we thought that it is sorted, but them it happened again and again. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like its either getting air locked or you have a potential negative head situation & the flow switches are not tripping in; air locking will eventually destroy the pump. To determine why a lot more info is needed; location of the pump, vertical distance from the H/W & C/W tanks to the pump, size of pipe feed to/from the pump, type of H/W cylinder flange you have, any up & over pipe loops to the shower head, type of shower head (high or low pressure). Sketches are usually best.

Your plumber doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence!

Does it supply the shower only or bath taps as well?

Does it turn on all the time when a tap is opened?

Tony

Thanks for the replies. C/w tank is in the loft h/w cylinder - in the airing cupboard, bottom me which is at about 800mm high. That is where the pump is. Pipe work: 15mm in and out. When the water leaves the pump goes up in the loft, then down into the shower value, then back up in the loft and down thru the head from the ceiling

Sponsored Links
in the airing cupboard, bottom me which is at about 800mm high.
sorry what does that mean?

Pipe work: 15mm in and out.
Should be 22mm feeds from the tanks or it seriously limits flow & max pipe length. [/quote] Ideally it should be 22mm all the way to the mixer valve, reducing to 15mm from the mixer to the shower head.

When the water leaves the pump goes up in the loft, then down into the shower value, then back up in the loft and down thru the head from the ceiling
I would say that’s almost certainly your problem; what is the distance from the top of the loops to the underside of the CW tank? ; anything less than 600mm is likely to give problems & could require a negative head pump. It’s bad enough having one up & over loop but 2 & at only 15mm will seriously be restricting flow & static head; for a positive head pump, you need around 1 litre/min to trigger the flow switches & turn on the pump. Up & over loops must also have air vents fitted at the highest point or air will collect at the top air locking the pump, this is probably why the problem keeps reoccurring. What type of take off flange do you have fitted to the HW cylinder?

You say you had a previous pumped system, has the pipe work been changed as a result of the bathroom refit?

Thanks for the replies. C/w tank is in the loft h/w cylinder - in the airing cupboard, bottom me which is at about 800mm high. That is where the pump is. Pipe work: 15mm in and out. When the water leaves the pump goes up in the loft, then down into the shower value, then back up in the loft and down thru the head from the ceiling

Erm this is the same as your last post :confused:

sorry. First time in forum ever. The Flange is Essex. Top of the highest loop is more -less at the bottom of c/w tank

sorry. First time in forum ever. The Flange is Essex. Top of the highest loop is more -less at the bottom of c/w tank

:):):)I don't think even I can do that. The echo I mean. Thanks for the advise. I think I got somebody coming next week to have a look at it. I hope he knows what he is doing, not like the previous lot. Thanks again:)

:):):)I don't think even I can do that. The echo I mean. Thanks for the advise. I think I got somebody coming next week to have a look at it. I hope he knows what he is doing, not like the previous lot. Thanks again:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back