Shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've replaced my shower with a new shiny version. The shower head has been raised slightly and the shower head is bigger. As a result the flow isn't great and so I'm planning to put a pump in. Obvious place seems to be up the loft where the h and c feed pipes drop into the studded wall to feed the shower mixer.

My question is, what regs am I likely to need to meet in connecting the pump. Any further tips or pitfalls to be avoided gratefully recieved.

I assume that I'll have to run a cable off the main power circuit rather than the conveniently accessable lighting circuit on current rating grounds.

Also, will a spur do the job, or should I incorporate the pump into the loop.

..or should I give up, save myself the aggro and the potential for burning my house down and get a pro in????

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
TIM! dont be so rotten.

Alvo, chances are, you can take a feed from your local lighting circuit, but it must be RCD protected, usually done by a Fused connection unit with built in RCD.

Thanks for the help, but I'm a little confused as to whose opinion to go with though. Could anyone be a little more specific? I've got a light cable a couple of feet from where the pump would go, can i tap in???

You need to check the loading on the circuit you intend to tap into, and the current rating of the pump. If you overload the circuit then the protection on it (fuse, MCB whatever) will trip. Hence your original assumption and ricicle's advice.

The MCB should also be labelled appropriately too, if you add anything that isn't an "upstairs light" ;)

Shower pumps in my experience have a 5A fuse.

They may not be rated at 5A, but they do have quite a hefty start-up current.

A Lighting circuit is (generally) also 5/6A, so best to use a connection to the ring.

Rat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat...........

:LOL:

If you have poor pressure at the shower head, it is possible that there will be insufficient pressure to activate the pump if it is mounted higher again. Most shower pump instructions say to fit the pump on the floor next to the hot water cylinder.
Phredd

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back