Shower Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm re-decorating my bathroom & want to replace my electric shower.
The current shower is a Triton T80 which must be about 20 years old.
The triton is wired via a double pole switch into my FCU using 6mm wire and the shower has its own 30 amp fuse in the FCU.

The new shower I want to fit is a mira sport 9kw. I planned on using the original wiring & switch & replacing the 30a fuse with a 40a one.

Is this ok & will I have to have it inspected?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
6 mm t+e pushing it depending on the lengtht, I'd say 10mm for a 9kw, that said I'm only a sparkies mate but when I used to wire houses the spec was all showers in 10mm t+e in case of a later upgrade to the shower unfortunatly we had to fit a crabtree pull cord :( they are a bugger to wire with 10mm t+e and a 4mm earth

got to be 40amp on a 10mm mate.no other way is properly safe.why push a cable to its limits to save a score and yes its notifiable.

dont forget all the other considerations when carrying out bathroom works either

Thanks for your answers.

I was hoping to keep it simple, ie just attach new shower to existing wiring. Mira's website indicates that 6mm wire will be ok but from what i've read here its top limit. The run is about 7m long. Looks like I need to replace the wire though to be safe.

My main concern was whether its ok to put a 40a cartridge fuse in my existing fuse box. The replacement fuses i've seen only go up to 30a.

Sponsored Links
It depends on the make and model of your fuse box. If you post a photo of it on here someone should be able to wether it can cope with a 40A load.

You will also need to make sure things such as the DP isolator can cope with the increased load.

:cry:

The length in this circuit is OK, but my concern would be whether the cable runs through insulation for more than 500mm or not.

The wire comes from the fuse box and up into the brick tunnel where the soil pipe is housed so its in fresh air there. It then comes into the loft, runs along the top of a joist for about 300mm before poking through the ceiling to the DP switch, then back through the ceiling for another 400mm, then down the inside of a plastered wall under tiles to the shower. The joist in question does not have insulation on it.

Its a WYLEX with number 604/N on a label. It says on it max load 60a.

Unfortunatly those fuse boxes are rated to a maximum of 30A per outgoing way, and a total of 60A.

We have photo's if you want to see what happens when you exceed this rating. It's not pretty.

Can I get my picture out again? Can I? Can I? Please???

60AWylexvs10-1.jpg

BurntOutWylexBoard.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back