Shower room light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't get the bulb out!
I've looked at a lot of videos, there is no circlip to release it, it won't twist off, the glass on the face is flush to the surround
The back of the bulb is loose in that I can move it around in the holder but the opening isn't large enough to remove the bulb
The outer ring rotates a small amount in each direction but shows not likelihood of screwing off
Any ideas welcome
IMG_2467.JPG
IMG_2468.JPG
IMG_2469.JPG

Sponsored Links
The outer ring should lift away when twisted one way or the other.

As you can see it is not in pristine condition so anything could have happened.

I thought so too.
I removed another one that isn't corroded, same behaviour, twists a little bit in either direction but nothing resembling releasing the ring from the rest.
I sprayed penetrating oil around the inside rim of the first one, from the back side of it, made no difference

Sponsored Links
Hi Terry, no because the thin outside rim at the front of the bulb is blocked by the inside face of the holding unit
It doesn't get as far as the springs
The bulb does wiggle about quite freely, but as far as I can tell, logically it should go forwards with the front rim removed

You are correct of course ,the bulb should be removed from below ,not above. Just thought it may work .
As already advised by EFL above ,the chrome bezel screws off the fitting ,but the thread is probably seized up. Time to replace the fittings !!

OK, I shall whack it in a vice an pour some evil on it in a bit. Something will give.
I thought it may get to that conclusion.
Thank you for your help.

I can't quite work out what the crusty stuff between the glass and outer bezel is.

You could try running a knife of some sort between the two.

As an aside, I am not an electrician but that doesn't look like an IP rated fitting to me. Is it is the shower splash zone? If yes (I believe that) you need an IP rated fitting. If that one were to get splashed with water the bulb may shatter.

It is IP65, it's on the right hand side of the top image
I did try that, and it's very crusty and hard.
The other one I took out didn't have this but had the same issue in the outer face turned slightly in both directions but didn't release

It is IP65, it's on the right hand side of the top image
I did try that, and it's very crusty and hard.
The other one I took out didn't have this but had the same issue in the outer face turned slightly in both directions but didn't release

My bad, sorry, I didn't see that.

So the gunk between the bezel and the glass I guess shouldn't be removed.

You could perhaps try to invert the fitting in a vice and use a "boa" so that you don't scratch the lower plate.

https://www.axminstertools.com/boa-constrictor-strap-wrench-610000

Alternatively, use a slip jaw plier and and old belt to protect the edge of the lower plate.

When new, the front ring would be removed by unscrewing.
Years of moisture, corrosion and the vast amounts of heat created by that 50W ceiling burner will have converted it into one sealed piece.
It's not coming apart without the use of massive destructive force.

It's time to dispose of them and buy new light fittings.
230V GU10 LEDs would be the usual choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back