Shower tray to replace

Sponsored Links
That's what it really comes down to , the cheaper the tray, the more dubious the finish can potentially be. Don't get me wrong you can get some really good cheap stone resin tray for next to no money but you may find that every other one of them will be wrong in some way and needs to go back. So it really can be a lottery.

With manufacturers like Mira etc, they have a much higher finishing standards and quality controls with better manufacturing equipment and materials.

Have ordered a Mira Flight Safe tray.

Does MDF make a good bed for a shower tray?

Sponsored Links
ref: "No, it'll swell up and turn to mush in the damp atmosphere."

So use natural timber then?

Got the tray delivered but looking at the base, I'll need to apply some cement around the outside, corners and midway points and centre because its only got a thin lip and I'm sitting it on a wood platform.

full

The existing waste is a T for 43mm pipes. The entry on the Mira waste is 40mm. Is there any kind of reducers available?

full

If you sit the tray edge on and look down it you will see there are a load of points on the tray that are level, use a spirit level and you will see what I mean.

Use 18mm WBP plywood. If you are placing it onto wooden floor boards/subfloor then I'd recommend you lift the boards and insert dwangs into the gaps between the joists where the tray will sit to ensure the boards wont flex ergo the tray.

What's coming in on that Tee? I'd really avoid anything else that close to the shower waste entry into the waste run.

If the supplied trap is anything like the one I had provided, bin it mine blocked in 3 months. The macalpine one I replaced it with has had no issues for The last six .lucky Im a bit slow and hadn't replaced the ceiling below:)

If the supplied trap is anything like the one I had provided, bin it mine blocked in 3 months. The macalpine one I replaced it with has had no issues for The last six .lucky Im a bit slow and hadn't replaced the ceiling below:)

I'm willing to heed the advice if there's a Macalpine to fit the Mira - its 90mm hole in the tray.

If you sit the tray edge on and look down it you will see there are a load of points on the tray that are level, use a spirit level and you will see what I mean.

Use 18mm WBP plywood. If you are placing it onto wooden floor boards/subfloor then I'd recommend you lift the boards and insert dwangs into the gaps between the joists where the tray will sit to ensure the boards wont flex ergo the tray.

The profiles around the edge are sunk slightly. If I put a bit of hardboard on them, the hardboard flushes with the lip.

I'm using wood planks for the platform.

This photo shows the slightly lower profile at the edge which does somewhat baffle me. I'd have thought the profile on the base would all be the same height.

184492-354efd695bcf7266054215e7a8357bb5.jpg

In that case I'd have the top of the platform sitting slightly in off the edge of the tray

I'm baffled why Mira didn't make the lip about 1" on the base for support. I'm going to apply some cement in the corners and edge mid points and level it to the lip height.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back