Shower Tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing all the ensuite in the en suite.
My plan in order:
No more ply
Lay shower tray (on floor direct or riser)
Tank
Tile/ shower boards
Floor
Fit toilet/sink

Just looking at what will be best for the shower tray. It will be a stone resin shower tray, on top of no more ply (to cover the chipboard floor). Would I be best laying it on tile adhesive straight on the no more ply or raising it on a frame?
It is a bungalow if it makes any difference, so no access from below in the case of leaks.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ideally the tray is fitted in stages:-

If you plan to put the board straight onto the floor you need to lift the chipboard flooring and put in supports to stop the floor from flexing where the tray will sit. You say there is no access from below so the waste will need to be cleverly fitted so you get a good flowing drain.
Ideally you would construct a plinth for the tray to sit on with supports running perpendicular to the joists with an 18mm top on it. Would also make running the waste easier with access for the future if needed.
Then tank down and onto the plinth.
Then fit the tray and fully seal to all walls where the tray will touch either using silicone or a specific adhesive tray seal. You can use a good silicone adhesive to bed the tray down onto the board.
Then the wall covering is fitted down to the tray edge and then seal again.

I'm doing this at the moment - although my plumber is doing all the real work!
he bedded the resin tray on a layer of mortar to ensure level and solid. We had the whole floor up (it was a small bedroom, and rotting) so new drainage put in, which made that easier at least.

Some pics ... just made an album https://photos.app.goo.gl/iruC1guiyUyeM3Nd6
annoyingly didn't get a photo of the timber base, but the gaps in the insulation I stuck to the underside show where the additional noggins when (4x2s)
some insulation was lost to get the drain in.
I'm now insulating the rest of the floor.
Water mark on floor shows why it rotted in the first place - I need to dig about 3 courses of earth out from the side path!

Ideally the tray is fitted in stages:-

If you plan to put the board straight onto the floor you need to lift the chipboard flooring and put in supports to stop the floor from flexing where the tray will sit. You say there is no access from below so the waste will need to be cleverly fitted so you get a good flowing drain.
Ideally you would construct a plinth for the tray to sit on with supports running perpendicular to the joists with an 18mm top on it. Would also make running the waste easier with access for the future if needed.
Then tank down and onto the plinth.
Then fit the tray and fully seal to all walls where the tray will touch either using silicone or a specific adhesive tray seal. You can use a good silicone adhesive to bed the tray down onto the board.
Then the wall covering is fitted down to the tray edge and then seal again.

Thanks. No access as it's a Bungalow. Think I will go with the plinth as will be easier if any problems in the future.

From what I've seen of the Tanking, the tray gets fitted first and then overlap onto the tray. Is it better to do as you suggest and tank the plinth then got the tray?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not as I fit them, if the tanking seal then burst at the tray edge, if say the tray moved, then the water will find it's way down and soak everything below it - seen it happen many times.

If the tanking is carried down onto and over the plinth before the tray is fitted, then there will always be a waterproof seal below the tray, even if the tray moves, right to the front of the plinth.

You can then use an aqua strap or similar to create a wall to tray seal, or just use silicone on the bottom and side edges, push the tray in and then seal along the top edge. Let it all go off and then wall covering goes down to the tray edge and it's sealed again.

Not as I fit them, if the tanking seal then burst at the tray edge, if say the tray moved, then the water will find it's way down and soak everything below it - seen it happen many times.

If the tanking is carried down onto and over the plinth before the tray is fitted, then there will always be a waterproof seal below the tray, even if the tray moves, right to the front of the plinth.

You can then use an aqua strap or similar to create a wall to tray seal, or just use silicone on the bottom and side edges, push the tray in and then seal along the top edge. Let it all go off and then wall covering goes down to the tray edge and it's sealed again.

No problem, I'm happy enough with building the plinth, tiling and silicone as I've done quite a bit before in a previous job but never Tanking.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back