Shower unit leak - should i try silicone or tape or something else?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shower unit is leaking small amounts of water at both bottom corners next to the tiled walls on the outside of the unit.

It's only really noticeable if you touch the grout at the bottom with tissue after use and it is damp, but not causing water to spill on the floor or anything.

I think it might be because there are tiny gaps above this area on the inside of the shower unit between the tiles (which are textured so not perfectly flat/smooth) and where the unit is attached to the wall.

They are tiny gaps on both sides which doesn't look to have silicone and I'm not sure if I can actually silicone such small gaps.

I was thinking of using some kind of water proof strong tape (like gorilla tape) all the way up to seal the corners from the inside between the tiles and the unit.

Just wondering if I'm on the right track here or if I should be considering different causes and/or solutions?

Would appreciate some help with this, thanks.

20220807_182349.jpg

Attachments

• 20220807_182308.jpg
    20220807_182308.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220807_182327.jpg
    20220807_182327.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220806_121822.jpg
    20220806_121822.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20220806_121829.jpg
    20220806_121829.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 20220806_121835.jpg
    20220806_121835.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 20220806_121846.jpg
    20220806_121846.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220806_121905.jpg
    20220806_121905.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 20220806_121911.jpg
    20220806_121911.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
The only sure way will be to remove the cubicle. Dig out old silicon clean and dry.

Leave for 24 hours then silicon.

Leave for 24 hours then fit cubicle back if it's not buggered.

The shower enclosure needs resealing externally ,not internally .
Remove all traces of silicone ,and reapply silicone externally ,down both verticals and around the perimeter of the tray.

Sponsored Links
The shower enclosure needs resealing externally ,not internally .
Remove all traces of silicone ,and reapply silicone externally ,down both verticals and around the perimeter of the tray.

I'd say your right but the problem will be that the verticals were put up before the silicon was applied and that behind these verticals there is no silicon.

I'd say your right but the problem will be that the verticals were put up before the silicon was applied and that behind these verticals there is no silicon.
Quite possibly ,but as long as the tray was sealed to the tiles around the inner edge , before the wall channels were fixed to the walls,there doesn't need to be silicone behind the wall profiles. It has ,at some point ,had silicone applied internally . If that is how it was originally applied ,the installer was clueless ,and it's all ( as you pointed out) in need of stripping apart.
I wonder if that silicone on the inside was added at a later date . The pics don't look like the enclosure had been recently fitted ,it looks quite aged.
Maybe the OP can give us more info.

Agree: only silicone the outside of screen
, just from experience I've found that the screen is fitted then the silicone applied.

Another possibility is that the uprights were fitted before the tray was siliconed. It happens...

Over time the pi$$ poorly applied silicone has worked loose. Cut all the external silicone out really get in and clean it all out. Then use a spirit to clean everything up. Allow to dry, even using a hairdryer to heat everything up and then leave it a few hours. Re-silicone properly (good quality, not cheapo rubbish) from top to bottom externally. As long as everything was dry then the new seal should stop it leaking.

Thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify some points.

It is an older cubicle, maybe 8-10 years old I'm guessing. Bought the house 6 years ago and I've not externally resealed the verticals although I did reseal the horizontal edges on the outside where the tray meets the screens.

After the problem started (before any of my resealing work) I did also reseal internally, both the bits you should seal (where the tray meets the wall tiles) and possibly some extra bits I should have left.

In the 2 new pics I just added I've highlighted in blue 2 internal sections on each side I've siliconed which I'm thinking I should have maybe left alone? Does there need to be any silicone internally at all in those blue sections?

In terms of the external vertical sections of silicone, these don't feel damp at all when I've tested it. The only noticeable dampness is right at the bottom in those blue circle sections I originally highlighted where the grout is. That's why I was thinking it was maybe water gathering/flowing internally at the bottom of the vertical only.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220806_121822.jpg
    20220806_121822.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220806_121829.jpg
    20220806_121829.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 59
Is there any sealant behind the wall strip, looks not, perhaps water is getting in behind this.

My SIL has a B&Q quadrant cubicle (told her not to buy it) can't stop it leaking! It's had silicon everywhere, similar to your blue lines, but all the way to the top.
Hers is held together with some cams, I suspect the water is getting in around those areas, and once it's filled any internal pocket in the aluminium extrusions, it starts to weep.

Is there any sealant behind the wall strip, looks not, perhaps water is getting in behind this.

My SIL has a B&Q quadrant cubicle (told her not to buy it) can't stop it leaking! It's had silicon everywhere, similar to your blue lines, but all the way to the top.
Hers is held together with some cams, I suspect the water is getting in around those areas, and once it's filled any internal pocket in the aluminium extrusions, it starts to weep.
That's interesting to hear.

Does your SIL still use the shower regardless of the weeping? We've stopped using ours for a while now, but part of me is thinking that it might be OK to continue to use worst case with the weeping (if i cant properly fix). There is no obvious leaking or spreading of water, eg in the adjacent bedroom plaster wall or the ceiling below. And that would have been after a lot of use before I noticed the weeping.

I was wondering if a quick fix waterproof tape on the inside between the vertical strip and tiled wall might help prevent some of the weeping as well.

Excuse my ignorance, but what are the "cams"?

Thanks

If there is dampness only on the grout where the tile is cut around the shower tray down to the floor then it may be that it's is leeching (capillary) through from the grout on the other side, if that's the case then there's little you can do about that apart from the enclosure off and redo. Is the grout soft, can it be pushed with say a small screwdriver?

If so the grout may be compromised and the only fix to that is raggle out the old and renew.

If there is dampness only on the grout where the tile is cut around the shower tray down to the floor then it may be that it's is leeching (capillary) through from the grout on the other side, if that's the case then there's little you can do about that apart from the enclosure off and redo. Is the grout soft, can it be pushed with say a small screwdriver?

If so the grout may be compromised and the only fix to that is raggle out the old and renew.
There is only obvious dampness on the small section of tile cut around the shower tray down to the floor. That small section is very soft but on closer inspection in might be all or part siliconed there. I've attached a zoomed in photo below.

Also attached photos of the grout on the inside sections which don't feel soft but are possibly worn out? Would a total or partial regrout maybe be necessary?

For arguments sake, if I done nothing and started using the shower again, what is likely to be a realistic worst case outcome? Trying to figure out where any weeping/leaking water ends up, as not visible for others idea of plaster wall or ceiling below as mentioned.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220811_122256.jpg
    20220811_122256.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220811_120350.jpg
    20220811_120350.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220811_120443.jpg
    20220811_120443.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 54
Nope, doesn't look too bad, the grout is old but doesn't look compromised, it's quite apparent when the grout has perished and gone.

I'd be looking to cut all that sealant out from outside the enclosure and re-do. You need to remove it all and get it really clean and dry all round before re-doing. If you're not the best at silicone then it may be an idea to get a professional in, as sealing up a shower properly is a skill in itself. I wouldn't necessarily say the enclosure needs to come out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back