Shower unit leak - should i try silicone or tape or something else?

SIL is still using the shower, funny thing is they replaced a cubicle and the chipboard flooring that was soft in places, as the the plumbing was diabolical too.

They then got a chap to install everything, and all was fine for a few showers... then a weep of water, I looked at the install and the installation notes of the shower cubicle, there was no sealant added, apart from the uprights.
I added some sealant to the inside, as it said it required and to the front curved part. All was good for a while, but then stared again.

When I read up for her, numerous other B&Q users have said it's poor design, as they have leaks too.

I've suggested we take it off, next time I'm round, clean everything up, and do whatever is needed to ensure no leaks.

If you are going to silicon the joints yourself, get some spatulas (sometimes called Fugenboys) they can make the joints very neat, unlike smoothing it with your finger.

Sponsored Links
Just noticed on your image with the blue lines on (file finishing 822) , there is a hole in the aluminium bottom rail, wonder if this should have a cap on, or grommet.

Just noticed on your image with the blue lines on (file finishing 822) , there is a hole in the aluminium bottom rail, wonder if this should have a cap on, or grommet.
Wow, that's impressive you've spotted that mate! I must have looked at that dozens of times and never seen it. Too fixated on the silicone and gaps!

Interestingly both bottom sections have the same small hole, but the equivalent top section corners have them covered. See new photos below.

I wonder if it's that simple a fix?! Would totally make sense in terms of the localised issues.

I'm not sure if they both fell off over time or have always been like that. Maybe the installer wanted an easy repeat business to cone back to fix further down the line lol.

Any ideas what these are called and where I can source replacements?

Worst case could I take the ones from the top section as less likely to have water spilling up there?

Attachments

• 20220811_165235.jpg
    20220811_165235.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220811_165242.jpg
    20220811_165242.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220811_165247.jpg
    20220811_165247.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220811_165250.jpg
    20220811_165250.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 53
They just look like screw cap covers to me,

Whip them off the top to try, might need a blob silicon. Alternatively stick some sellotape on them for a day or two, to see if it stops, if so you can get some spare caps.

On the B&Q cubicle's they use cams (like Ikea) to connect different sections, I suspect these may be letting in the water.

Fingers are crossed for yours! (y)

Sponsored Links
As they're on the inside, they shouldn't be an issue, either the fitter lost the screws or they there to allow the frame to drain into tray if any water gets in there.

My shower was leaking, all the grout was renewed but it still leaked. My grand daughters boyfriend plumber (sorry gas engineer!) removed the surround, cleaned all surfaces and reinstalled and resealed. No leaks now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back