shower /wetroom minimum width

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have recently moved into a new house that has an outside toilet and a larder next to the kitchen. We are thinking of taking out the corner of the garage to open up the kitchen into a large rectangle and then turning the toilet 180 degrees and turning the area into a small wetroom. Currently its 830mm wide with the existing wall, they are non-load baring, so can be removed and made wider space for the wetroom but it would sacrifice kitchen space which is already tight. But was considering making it 1m wide and about 3m in length.
Thanks

This is what it would look like.

plan_idea3.png

Sponsored Links
PR,
With that layout (shower at one end and Toilet at other) I would decide by seeing what width of shower tray and shower door you want.
Perhaps try a few out first and see what works for you.
SFK

I have replaced a bath with a shower tray and the width is good at just 700mm. So you would have a roomy tray in that layout. Be careful of an inward opening door, make sure your layout does not cause the arc of the door to clash with either WC or basin.

Thanks, yeah was thinking of going to try out some shower trays.

Blagard, the door would be outward opening for this bathroom, or maybe a sliding door pocket door. thanks

Sponsored Links
PR,
I have stood in the Showers of DIY shops checking to see if big enough for me to turn and wash myself - good for me but less so for the other customers :>

And don't forget, if you want to keep the room narrow but have more shower floor space, instead of (say) a 800x800mm tray you could use a 1200x800mm tray placed sideways/lengthways with a 800mm door. Here is a quick link that shows most of the available shower trays.
http://www.screwfix.com/c/bathrooms..._sp=managedredirect-_-bathrooms-_-showertrays

Regarding the door and wall, consider a fitting an internal self-closer to the door so that the door is always closed (both when not in use so you don't see the toilet all the time, and when in use so you do not see people using it :< )
Also to help reduce noise of toilet passing into kitchen consider specifying: a heavy door; noise damping insulation in the stud wall; and heavy plasterboard (I have used red/fireboard when not able to afford/get soundboard) .

sfk

Thanks SFK, some helpful stuff there. I`m wondering whether a wetroom style would work with this, so avoiding a tray and door.
something like this must be around the size we`re looking at?
2f63d0d7208e95e0534aac115241cd1b.jpg

PR,
Note that I am a DIYer, so only limited experience from couple of bathrooms I have put in.

I have never installed a wet room. You are right that it does make room look bigger which is good. I have always found (from experience at friends and in hotels) that wetrooms look nice, but can be a pain.

Issues (all of which can be overcome) are:
- Need to tank room properly - so might cost more (or might cost less than expensive tray and door).
- Need proper slope into drain (so need good tiler)
- Do you have the drop for the drain (noting that a shower tray gives you a bit of extra height that can be useful).
- Are you happy with everything else in room getting wet (ie wet toilet and wet shaver socket, wet towels, and wet room door). See here from soemone who is trying to address this issue: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...m-without-needing-a-tray.487430/#post-3970212
- How do you stop the water going into kitchen when drain needs unblocking (tray gives 1 or 2cm of warning, floor does not).

Again, wet rooms are great and I think a great solution for you, but above points need considering to make it work well.
SFK

Last edited:
One thing I would say is that whilst a 700 tray is OK its pretty cramped at 700x700 if you go that narrow then think something a long the lines of 700x1200. Would also agree that unless you have loads of space wet rooms are a pain

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back