shredding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just been through my "filing cabinet" and shredded a load of old bank statements, all my old loan paperwork (paid it off this year), two old car insurance certs, and other things I no longer need (accounts im closing etc), and a load of old phone bills (12 months worth) which all had my name and address on - I dont get paper bills now. Also binned a load of leaflets associated with the above.

I feel all "clear" now! Its a nice feeling, like a clean start.

One thing I dont shred though, is payslips. I have 6 years worth of payslips and P60's, since I started working. I dont intend to ever get rid of these. :D

Anyone else keep stuff like this for "nostalgic" purposes? Something to show the kids when they start working perhaps. :LOL: "my first ever payslip" etc

Sponsored Links
I've still got my 1st payslip from 1983, £45 a week as a trainee Screen Print Technician, they refused to send me to college as other lads they'd employed let them down by not turning up - I decided if they couldn't trust me I didn't want to work there, they offered a payrise to stay but not the college course...left the job but always kept the payslips.

Sponsored Links
I have just been through my "filing cabinet" and shredded a load of old bank statements, all my old loan paperwork (paid it off this year), two old car insurance certs, and other things I no longer need (accounts im closing etc), and a load of old phone bills (12 months worth) which all had my name and address on - I dont get paper bills now. Also binned a load of leaflets associated with the above.

I feel all "clear" now! Its a nice feeling, like a clean start.

One thing I dont shred though, is payslips. I have 6 years worth of payslips and P60's, since I started working. I dont intend to ever get rid of these. :D

Anyone else keep stuff like this for "nostalgic" purposes? Something to show the kids when they start working perhaps. :LOL: "my first ever payslip" etc

I've still got my first payslip. I started near the end of the month, so seemed like b*gger all as I I had no tax code too! Had to pay full tax.

First payslip August 1972 for the pribcely sum of,

wait for it, wait for it!

£4-10s (£4-50 to you youngsters.)

Trainee piano sprayer.
Stuck it for 2 weeks before getting my apprenticeship as an armature winder/fitter where I earned £12 in my first week!
Yeah!!! I was rich!
Till I got home and mum asked for her housekeeping! :cry: :cry:

So they still paid you in £sd eighteen months after the rest of us had gone deciimal (Feb'71)? :rolleyes:

Hey - we're talking about the 'pool here :rolleyes: My dad was still working in old money up until he died in 2004 :!:

Until recently, I had a sheet with all my pay rates on it starting 1963 £4 p/wk & I used to save £1 week in the post office.
I also saved a score card of EVERY golf course I have ever played.
SAD I KNOW

Yeah!!! I was rich!
Till I got home and mum asked for her housekeeping! :cry: :cry:
I can relate to that conny but I'd do it all again and hand over the lot in a heart beat just to see my mam and dad's faces again. :cry:

Until recently, I had a sheet with all my pay rates on it starting 1963 £4 p/wk & I used to save £1 week in the post office.
I also saved a score card of EVERY golf course I have ever played.
SAD I KNOW
Well at least you know! :LOL:

I keep stuff on a seven year cycle.

So, every new year one load of (8yr old) stuff is burned in the garden incinerator and those emptied files are re-labeled for the forthcoming year.

So, every new year one load of (8yr old) stuff is burned in the garden incinerator and those emptied files are re-labeled for the forthcoming year.
Your filing cabinet must be the size of your garage! :eek:

So they still paid you in £sd eighteen months after the rest of us had gone deciimal (Feb'71)

Bloody decimilisation! Can even spell the dammned word!

Biggest rip-off scheme ever imagined.
And I still work in imperial measurements today!
Feet, inches, pounds, ounces, pints, gallons!
Whats wrong with good old British methods?

:LOL: :LOL:

Your filing cabinet must be the size of your garage! :eek:

One of the perils of being 'in business'. You are required by law to keep 5 years books, but the accountants recommend 7 years. Mine includes ALL business records and not just accounts.

Sponsored Links
Back