shutdown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
got a pentium3 866mhz windows98 that wont shut down,tried all sorts of different thing listed in help and on web,none work,any help please
thanks

Sponsored Links
have you tried ctrl -alt- delete at the same time or reset

:D

Thanks for replies,problem was network card

Sponsored Links
Intrigued, why was this preventing shutdown, how did you come to this conclusion ?

it was the only thing left to try,after trying 20+ other things,removed network card and pc shutdown straight away,i don't use a network card so i fired it off,why it was preventing shutdown,i'll let you know when i do

Yes, he's right. There was a specific patch to fix releasing of network resources at shutdown. Removing the card is masking the problem.

will let you all know when problem is permanently sorted

I am having troulbe with shutting down since installing network card, Gets as far as saying windows is shutting down then hangs, cant do restart as pc crashes.Is the patch for networking from microsoft
Also having problems with norton antivirus crashes when scanning, the norton prob started yesterday cant see why as havnt changed anything. any advice?

There are two related patched from MS, one for general shutdown problems 4756US8.exe and one for mapped drive issues 260067USA8.exe

I suggest reading the rather verbose articles that accompany each before applying.

What sort of problems are you having with NAV? Which version and are any errors showing on the status page?

Does the machine shutdown when you type 'shutdown -f' at the command line?

Sponsored Links
Back