Side extension PD - 50% width rule

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Anyone come across or know how the powers that be decide on the PD side extension rule when the property is shaped thus?

The total width of the front elevations combined or the rear?

Regarding the side being no more then half width of the existing dwelling.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 132
Sponsored Links
Indeed. Yes. But front and rear are different lengths.

I would like to think they would take half of the front elevation as a whole as the max allowable under PD

They are one elevation, irrespective of how many individual lengths make up the elevation.

The width is taken as the "widest point" of the original house, so that would be the rear elevation total width by adding the two planes, and not measuring direct between the two outer corners

Sponsored Links
The width of the house is "the width at its' widest point", so I'd say its the red line.

Attachments

• Handwritten_2021-12-16_165012.pdf
    105.2 KB · Views: 142
The width of the house is "the width at its' widest point", so I'd say its the red line.
But if the OP ordered carpets to cover the width of his house, then he may find they are a bit short if he measured the width as in that example.

Or if he he got a quote for repointing the width of the back of the house, or for the gutters across the width of the house or ..... :rolleyes:

Which form of measurement gives the dimension between the widest points, i.e is the greatest? :cautious:

It's nothing to do with carpet fitters or pointing or guttering - it's just the wording of the GPDO and how it describes 'width' for the purposes of the permitted development rules.

I thought the sketch adequately showed the overall width of the house, so the maximum side extension the OP could do would be one-half the length of the red line.
Straightforward, really.

it's just the wording of the GPDO and how it describes 'width
I can't see where it says to measure between the fence panels. o_O

Here are the clues
Width of the house (not garden)
Widest point (the greatest of any dimension)

Only a dimension that is parallel to the frontage surely - not literally ANY dimension?
The PD tech guide does not define width and untill this has been subsequently defined in appeal or precedent, so you revert to the accepted, custom and practice literal definition of "width of the original house".

"House", not elevation, plane, panel, wall, or even parallel [to a random undefined object].

It's not any dimension, the criteria is quite clear - "This is the width of the original house (measured at the widest point)". So how would say a surveyor measure the width of a house? He would measure the house!

The PD tech guide does not define width and untill this has been subsequently defined in appeal or precedent, so you revert to the accepted, custom and practice literal definition of "width of the original house".

"House", not elevation, plane, panel, wall, or even parallel [to a random undefined object].

It's not any dimension, the criteria is quite clear - "This is the width of the original house (measured at the widest point)". So how would say a surveyor measure the width of a house? He would measure the house!

This was my thought from the get go to be honest and this is how we will proceed. I was wondering if anyone had previous experience in such a case.

Let's see how this rides...

I can't see where it says to measure between the fence panels. o_O

Here are the clues
Width of the house (not garden)
Widest point (the greatest of any dimension)
@woody & @FMT.
No-one mentioned anything about fence posts.
The 'width of the house' is the maximum distance, left-to-right, when viewed from the front - see sketch attached.
So what, prey, is the difference in principle between this sketch and my previous sketch showing the OP's house, where on plan it goes off at 45°?
What, exactly, am I missing??

Attachments

• Handwritten_2021-12-17_140742.pdf
    111.9 KB · Views: 93

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back